OT: Bosch/Siemens/Neff Dishwasher "recall" 1999-2005 models

Came across this yesterday when looking for the instruction manual for a newly acquired Bosch dishwasher. Seems any Bosch/Neff/Siemens model[1] from 1999-2005 can, in extremis, catch fire. Tiny percentage (been a few hundred out of half a million according to a Telegraph article) but they send someone out (gratis) to resolder a, presumably under-rated, joint in the controller. See:

Scott

[1] Badge engineering going full belt here
Reply to
Scott M

Pretty sure Hotpoint dishwashers used to be (and maybe still are?) made by Bosch. So perhaps not as full belt as once was?

Reply to
polygonum

On Wednesday 12 June 2013 18:08 Scott M wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Thanks for posting that - mine is OK.

Reply to
Tim Watts

It's funny. This one is to replace one of the original 80s Hotpoint ones (exposed element, brown front, clockwork controller) and I was looking at some of the design details which were startlingly similar - the rubber door gasket which flares at the edges of the opening and the mystery[1] round vent on the inside for two.

Scott

[1] I did work out what it was when I first had the Hotpoint and ran it with the side off to see exactly how they worked. Much fun!
Reply to
Scott M

When they did ours I think they replaced a board.

I don't recall any soldering going on.

Useful to post this every now and then because most people will not have seen any details of the original recall.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Interesting, just looked at our Hotpoint dishwasher (mad in Germany) which has a label very similar to the ones described with an FD number in the range quoted so clearly a Bosch OEM product. Maybe we Hotpoint cheapskates deserve to burn :-(

Chris K

Reply to
Chris K

Our 9-year old Bosh "failed" in that it was in the serial number range of the potentially faulty batch. The engineer came about 8 days after I phoned them and replaced the circuit board. There was no resoldering done at all. Pure board swap. Barely took 20 minutes and included a PAT test.

Maybe it'll last another 9 years. He did tell me off for not cleaning out the filter regularly enough though...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

(and re David's post)

I've not had them out yet but there was an article or something I read that said it was a solder job. I must admit that it sounded a bit odd a) in these days and b) they'd trust such a fix. New board ahoy!

Scott

Reply to
Scott M

The problem was the size (or rather lack of) of a PCB track to a relay. This fed the heater element and overheated and caused the solder to the relay pin to melt.. This in turn created a more significant bad joint and the risk of fire on the PCB. When ours was replaced the discolouration along the track was obvious and some solder had melted from the joint ( the machine was still functioning perfectly well). The fix was replacement of the PCB for one which had much wider tracks to the relay. Re soldering would not have fixed the fundamental problem.

Reply to
Peter Parry