Another (different) Bosch dishwasher leak

My Bosch sms40a02gb/03 Dishwasher has been tripping the RCD. I took the sides and back panel off and ran it. There are pinhole leaks where the metal inner liner meets the plastic base. See http://www.flickr.com/photos/142066800@N06/shares/b4Hy2n
Any ideas how to seal it?
Sorry - was interrupted by SHMBO - should add that the leaks are where the black insulation meets the plastic base, about midway along the left side a nd also midway along the back. There is one very small pinhole on each side that spits out small amounts each time the rotating arm “swooshes ” past.
So what is it made from, are we talking rust or just poor gluing here? If its rust then its retire it time. There will be more as time passes. If its just bonding you might be able to find some kind of sealant, but I'd be interested in what made it leak first. Brian
--
----- -
Not sure why it leaks. It’s only about 4 years old and there? ?s no rust. The gap is full of gunk that looks like grease and food waste .
On Saturday, 26 May 2018 10:05:42 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

??s no rust. The gap is full of gunk that looks like grease and food wa ste.

outside?
I'd put the sealant on both sides after cleaning it well.
NT
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes:

We have exactly the same problem with ours. Having first spotted the problem a few years ago when I had not time to solve it properly, I stuck some duct tape over on the outside and forgot about it. Earlier this year the duct tape failed, causing the leaking water to dribble down into the electronics compartment, so the machine shut down with a “water in base of machine” error code. Not remembering the duct tape, I called out an engineer who emptied the water and tightened some screws that might have (but weren’t) the source of the leak. It worked again for a while and when it next failed I remembered the duct tape.
I thought I could make a better fix than duct tape (which doesn’t really stick to the bitumen), so I squirted CT1 sealant into the gap. This worked fine until we ran an “intensive” programme (which runs hotter than the one we normally use) and it started to leak again.
The problem is that when the cycle gets hot, the metal back and plastic base expand at different rates, so the gap gets bigger and pulls apart the seal. The plastic doesn’t really take adhesives (with all that bitumen there I’m not willing to try flashing it). My next thought is to use some flexible “air seal” expanding foam, but since we rarely use the hot programme I just put a towel on the floor when we do, and getting round to trying the next fix consequently hasn’t happened yet.
--
Jón Fairbairn snipped-for-privacy@cl.cam.ac.uk

Thanks everyone - I tried my idea of plumber’s mait (had some ? ??in stock’ so thought I’d give it a go) - it failed on the first intensive cycle (too hot). I’ll try one of the adhesives mentioned. Sounds like I might have to redo it every now and again, but ch eaper than buying a new one.
Is there a design flaw in these machines?

Mine doesn’t do it and I use the most extreme hot wash all the time.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes:

Arguably yes, since the stainless steel and plastic were never going to have the same expansion coefficients. But I know that our machine suffered some un-designed-for pressure on the back when it was first installed: unseen behind the machine, the two hoses had crossed and were trapped between the metal part of the back and the wall. So it is possible that this broke the original seal.
--
Jón Fairbairn snipped-for-privacy@cl.cam.ac.uk

Applied Stixall to side and rear. Left for 24 hours to go off. Side seems t o be holding well. However, leak still happening at rear. Watching the mach ine in operation, I can see the rear case flexing in and out fairly signifi cantly, with water spurting out ( like a spitting image puppet crying) when the rear flexes outwards.
I’m worried that no amount of sealant will cope with this amount of movement. Any ideas?
On Friday, 1 June 2018 10:23:41 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

to be holding well. However, leak still happening at rear. Watching the ma chine in operation, I can see the rear case flexing in and out fairly signi ficantly, with water spurting out ( like a spitting image puppet crying) wh en the rear flexes outwards.

of movement. Any ideas?
So you need to fix it in place as well as seal.
On 27/05/2018 13:49, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Ther is a design flaw in nearly all German dishwashers, especially Bosch.
Bosch = schitt
--
“Progress is precisely that which rules and regulations did not foresee,”

– Ludwig von Mises
On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 19:42:31 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Six month old post.
And in 25 years of having Bosch dishwashers I have never had a leak in one.
Would not say that, but most stuff these days seems to be designed with a life span of around 3 years in mind form what I've experienced. As for dishwashers. I never had one as talking to people you have to wash the dishes to get the worse off before you shove them in the washer, and while you are doing that you might as well hand wash them at the time. Of course if you have a lot of dishes to do then it probably makes sense, but then a better product might be the best choice, the cheap mickey mouse devices made at the bottom end of the price range are just that, cheap. Brian
--
----- --
On 18/11/2018 08:12, Brian Gaff wrote:

It helps to run the plates etc under a tap if, for example, they have gravy on them. Rice is a bu**er and worth rising off.
Likewise, rinsing things like rice from pans is a good idea.
However, you don't need to wash them before using the dishwasher.
As for the cheap vs expensive, I'm not sure price is the decided. Our first one wasn't hugely expensive and lasted ages. We've had expensive ones which were unreliable. Those with a multitude of programmes seem overkill. Our previous one had programmes we never used. The current one, a SMEG, has 3 (or perhaps 4) ranging of which we use 2 most of the time. The SMEG has a 5 year warranty included.
With just 2 of us at home now, it goes on once a day normally (overnight). A few things don't go in the dishwasher- more I think because Senior Management prefers to washer them by hand, a dw can fade some things etc and not everything is dw safe.
We've had one since (about) 1983/84 and wouldn't be without one.
--
Always smile when walking, you never know where there is a camera ;-)

Remarkable Coincidences:
On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 09:18:07 +0000, Brian Reay wrote:

I just wipe the worst ones with a bit of blue roll.

We've had one for 25 years, and I agree!

I don’t find it needs doing at all and my plates with gravy on them can be 13 days from using the plate to doing the dishwasher run.
I do find that I need to wash out the glass cup that I make the gravy in because with such a long time between dishwasher runs, the last of the gravy in that cup does go solid and mouldy before the dishwasher run, but even when I manage to forget to do that, its just a matter of leaving some water in that cup for a few hours and then tipping it out to fix that before its washed in the dishwasher in the dishwasher run.

I never ever do that either and do eat quite a bit of it in currys particularly.

I never do rice in pans anymore. I do rice in the microwave in these things and eat from that with the curry added to the rice in that and it goes in the dishwasher not rinsed after eating the curry with a splayd. https://www.dropbox.com/s/mjy9tkp0lyhe8qb/IMG_1968.JPG?dl=0 https://www.dropbox.com/s/2xug6ucg7sb8n7i/IMG_1969.JPG?dl=0

Yeah, my first did too.

I havent, only on my second one now. I can certainly fix the first one but the Bosch turned up at a garage sale for just $50 working perfectly after they did a full kitchen rebuild so I didn’t bother to fix the original one which had a few irritating quirks.

Sure, but that doesn’t cost you anything in the purchase price now.

Me too with the Bosch but so what ? No point in not having a dishwasher that works well just because it has some programs that you don’t use.

The Bosch has 5 and I normally only use the most heavy duty program. But I don’t have fancy delicate plates or glasses. All the plates are Corelle and the glasses are just the normal stuff.

Mad. It makes more sense to have more stuff and do the run when there are no clean ones left.

The only thing I don’t put in the dishwasher are anodised aluminium, normally just saucepan lids and I gave up on those and use stainless steel for that reason.

I don’t buy anything that isnt.

Yeah, me too and with the washing machine in spades.

My Bosch dishwasher has lasted a lot longer than that.
The design does have one major downside in that the pump, heater etc is all one thing and isnt cheap to replace if it does die, but it doesn’t usually die.

Like hell you do. I never wash anything that goes in the dishwasher. The most I ever do is knock stuff like chop bones off into the bin before I put the plate in the dishwasher and I wash everything in it, including the ultra filthy electrical shutter thing for the kitchen exhaust fan and stuff like that. Normally in a run just for stuff like that, but that because its so physically big that there isnt much room left at all for anything else when washing that.

Mad.

It makes sense even if you don’t. I normally only have a single plate and one glass for the main dinner and don’t ever have lunch anymore. I put stuff in the dishwasher until I run out of clean plates, usually every 13 days or so currently because that’s how many dinner plates I have.

On Sunday, 18 November 2018 08:12:13 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:

You can chuck everything unrinsed, but stuff then often comes out with bits on it. Or you can prerinse. It's stupid regulation, by trying to enforce water savings they greatly increase water use.
You can work for that 40p an hour if you want :)
NT

Mine never does, and I never pre rinse but do have a decent dishwasher.

Mine still works perfectly anyway.

It isnt even that much if you do full loads instead of every night.