Bathroom floor

Need to do up our bathroom. Thinking of replacing bath with a shower - not going to Wet Room - but possibly a large rectangular tray with some "drying off space"
Current floor is tongue and groove with carpet tiles. I know I really need to cover it with ply - but wary of creating a step. I am considering Kardean or vinyl flooring.
What can I get away with on the tongue and groove.Is there anything like a levelling compound for wood? Fairly wide gaps between the boards
Also - if I take the tiles off my plasterboard walls I guess it will wreck it. Considering a panel wall covering. Would you remove the tiles or leave them on. Any recommendations - or things to avoid?
On 24/05/2018 18:04, DerbyBorn wrote:

FWIW, I used bathroom grade laminate over TG chipboard (the original floor was beyond saving) and mdf panel stuff over tiles/crumbly walls. I had to do it all quite quickly and to a budget, but it looks a lot better than it did:
https://flic.kr/p/KmmoHu
Pithy comments about what it must have looked like before will be taken with good humour :-)
--
Cheers, Rob

Page Not Found
Oops! Looks like you followed a bad link.

I've seen better looking cess pits |-(
On 24/05/18 18:29, RJH wrote:

That looks amazing.
We have fitted click vinyl floor to one of our bathrooms and bathroom grade MDF to the other. The vinyl is a lot better as the MDF still tends to lift a little when wet and over time. If you run the boards perpendicular to th e current t&g I would have thought it would be fine. You could always stapl e hardboard down first it you wanted

The Karndean parquet laid in our hall/kitchen/diner was glued to a latex *levelling coat*. The fitter was adamant that our nicely level, recently laid 22mm chip would not do. The latex powder mix is spread and then finished with a roller rather like an under clothed Hedgehog. Sets off over night. I don't know if t&g boards would do but the floor shop will know.
--
Tim Lamb

On 24/05/2018 18:04, DerbyBorn wrote:

6mm ply would be adequate for Karndean. I just did two bathrooms with it. Started with ply screwed down very well (all edges and 6" spacings), then a feathering compound on top.

You could use levelling compound - but ply will be better.
Remember the Karndean is only 3mm thick so the total thickness will be less than a carpet with underlay.

If they are sound and level you could tile over. You could strip the lot and re-board. Or rip em off, and skim it flat (even if not pretty) and tile that.
--
Cheers,

John.
I like a good bath myself.... Still each to their own. Brian
--
----- -