Bathroom floor tips please

I am considering vinyl tiles or sheet for a small bathroom - on first floor. The floor is T&G with some gaps and a bit of unevenness.

I guess I need to cover the floor with ply or hardboard next. What are the pros and cons and what spec should I buy?

How should I fix it down and should I consider anything between the boards and the ply or hardboard.

Thanks

Reply to
John

Get sheet. You can bin it and replace at regular intervals. Use the old as a template for cutting the replacement.

Tiles you have to live with and the scuffs and crap on them that has to be cleaned off is ridiculous.

Reply to
EricP

I know this might sound excessive, but if you can cope with the thickness then 9mm ply is best. 6mm is ok for vinyl, but over time will shape to profile of t&g if it is cupped. Other advantage of 9mm is that it can be tiles over at a later date if desired (though 12mm is best if that is the case). Unfortunately, no matter what material you chose, you will have to screw it down every 6 inches. Good luck Calum Sabey NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544

Reply to
calums

Are any adhesives suitable as an alternative to lots of screws?

John

Reply to
John

"John" wrote

No, no, no.........always leave the option to lift the floor! Particularly important for bathrooms where there are services and potential leaks as well as wiring below the floor most likely. IMHO avoid tiles and stick with lino/cushion floor, unless you like a cold slippy surface that collects dirt and unmentionables in grout lines.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster