Bathroom Floor

I am having a bathroom re-fitted (by a plumber as I haven't time or tools) but will arrange a few days between stripping and fitting as I am aware that the floor needs some attention as it has been lifted in places over the years for re-wiring, central heating etc.

Tongue & Groove is the obvious choice - but is there an alternative sheet type material (not dreaded chipboard) that might make the job easier or more satisfactory?

Reply to
John

18mm ply is good, particularly if you're having it tiled. Given that it's a bathroom it's advisable to use marine ply which will cope better in damp conditions although it's more expensive. Screw down rather than nailing, something like every 400mm along the joists. Much better than T&G as you get less movement. Still you should use (or make sure it is used) a flexible tile adhesive.

Worth thinking about whether you require any future access to places under the floor, and think of a way of providing specific access before you bolt it all down. I had a problem with a previous bathroom where I'd floored it in ply and tiled and then needed access to a transformer for the kitchen lights. Fortunately I could get at it by making a hole in the door threshold which then got covered up by a timber finishing, but it was a close call!

Fash

Reply to
Fash

WBP ply is good, although you will need to get the router out to T&G it, unless you have a friendly timber merchant who will put it through the spindle moulder.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

What floor covering are you going for?

For example, under vinyl all you would need is some hardboard, well nailed down. For tiles, WBP (not marine - silly money) ply screwed down. If the existing boards are reasonably solid then you can get away with as little as 6mm ply (although 9mm is a better bet). 18mm will often result in too large a step up into the bathroom once tiled if used over the old floor boards.

If you are going for replacement you can use chipboard, but make sure it is the waterproof type!

Reply to
John Rumm