Advice on materials for bathroom

I want a new bathroom suite, not too expensive, just one that is functional and value for money, and so last for some years without the taps falling o ff and shower going hot and cold!

Each showroom from B & Q to independents have their own brands and are diff icult to compare like for like. I have tried asking traders to quote me bu t it is a small bathroom.job and they seem to insist on a total price and v ery reluctant to breakdown into labour and parts so I might compare.

Are bathroom suites and fittings, and floor tiles, much of a muchness? I'm guessing I need a branded shower though for running off the combi as the p resent one? Do I choose a suite myself, if so how best to compare quality/ price, do brands matter, and then simply ask the tradesmen for the price of labour?

Any advice would be much appreciated as I'm ready to have it done but both tradesmen so far are reluctant to breakdown the materials or explain the ab ove issues. Maybe they see it as too much hassle for a small job? I just want both to be clear from the off so that there is no dispute or arguments at the end.

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks Colin

PS. I know it is not DIY, I would not have the confidence myself, but no o hter obvious place to ask? Thank you.

Reply to
cgfbmh

x-posted to uk-d-i-y. Try to ignore the politics.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

No. Thery come in three distinct bands. Uterly cheap B&Q crap that doesnt last evcen if you can get it installed, mega expensive fahinable crap from e.g. victoria plumb, and senible trade stuff thqt works from a builders merchant. that is ogftem cheaper than B&Q anyway.

.

That is one wayu to do it.

Go online for brands or wander round a showroom but dont buy.

Mira showers and whats the other one - begiuns with T - are OK but combis are relativeley shit for showers.

I have had good expereimnve with pegler taps and ideal standard china.

get a THICK resin bath. 6mm minimum

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I done mine DIY about 18 months ago, some stuff bought on ebay. However in the link you will see my detailed costs, the plumber was `mates rates` I think a strip out and remodel will take 3/4 days, others may know better. I took 4 months :-) but I did have another toilet and I hadnt a clue what I was doing, got a lot of help from this NG.

This may give you some idea of material costs.

ss

I have had a Mira 415 Pressure Balancing Shower since 1988. Two combi boilers later is is till just fine.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

My understanding was that that's the only thing they are good for.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

TNP has a special one that was designed to wind him up... (probably Dr Drivel's final revenge!)

Reply to
John Rumm

You are probably thinking about it in the wrong way. Work out what fittings etc you want, and then specify those to the plumber (but let them supply them). Then you can compare quotes on more equal footing.

There is quite a range of quality to chose from when it comes to fittings and accessories, and an even bigger range of prices.

If you supply parts and them labour then you have a problem when something goes wrong - is the the plumber's fault or a faulty fitting etc. If they have supplied everything (even if you specced it) then they own the whole problem.

Reply to
John Rumm

[...]

======================================= Two recent bad experiences prompt me to reply.

  1. Unless you have formed a trusting relationship with the plumber, do not let him choose the fittings (i.e. the shower unit, the taps, etc) on your behalf. I have learnt this the hard way. Some tradesmen, if allowed to do so on your behalf, choose cheap and nasty fittings, so that they can keep their quote at an attractively competitive price. You could be saddled with fittings that you do not really like, and have to pay him again for the labour of taking them out and replacing them with something that you do like. Therefore, you must go to B&Q (or wherever else) and choose all the fittings yourself. Then specify your chosen fittings to the plumber. The salesman at B&Q should be able to tell you the part numbers to identify the fitting you have chosen.
  2. Even when you choose the fitting yourself, you can sometimes come unstuck. This is what happened to me when I chose the very cheapest shower unit at B&Q. It looked exactly the same as, but was half the cost of, another shower unit of similar design. I paid my plumber to install it, and it worked well for the first month or so. Then the temperature control failed. Since then, I have had the choice of taking showers a bit hotter than I would really like, or paying my plumber a second time to take the shower out and replace it with the non-cheapjack version. I have chosen the too-hot-shower option.

The plumber might be reluctant to quote labour and parts separately because he gets trade discounts on all the parts he buys. If you do not allow him to make this little profit he will probably increase his price accordingly, so that he makes the required overall amount of money from the job. I don't blame him for that, he has a wife and three children who want to eat. So it is best, both for you and for him, if you choose the fittings but allow him to buy them on your behalf and to quietly pocket the trade discount.

If you choose a gravity-fed shower, you need to know how high the water-level in the water tank is above the position of the shower head. Gravity-fed is the cheapest option, but you need to have sufficient pressure (from the height of the water level) to make it work. The alternative of an electrically pumped shower is more expensive. It gives a better shower with a greater flow of water, but is less environmentally friendly. More CO2 per shower. You need to talk both to your plumber and to the salesman at B&Q when you make this decision.

Regards Richard Chambers, Leeds.

Reply to
Richard Chambers