Oak Plank Floor Repair?

Hiya! We have a home, built in the mid fifties, with 2" wide (plus .150 tongue) x 1/2" thick oak plank, tongue & groove flooring...some of which are damaged & need replacement. Stamped underneath "Nickey Made in USA NOFMA". Where could I find these...I've tried the obvious, Home Depot & Lowes. Is this stuff still made?...or should I buy some oak, fire up the radial arm saw, and start ripping? I'm in the greater Los Angeles area. Thank's in advance for any help. - John

Reply to
John Mulhern

I offer a pun, but not a good answer ... 2.25 inches is run-of-the-mill in NC, so call a flooring store tomorrow. Your problem is replicating the

50-year patina. -B

Hi John, I read your 15 year old question about your 50 year hardwood oak flooring that said Nofma Nickey under the board, from the 1950's. Was that red or white oak? I am having the same problem. Some hardwood suppliers are telling me it is red oak and some are telling me it is white oak. I don't know what to do. your reply would be most appreciated. Thank You. Gail

Reply to
gailbazan

Take a picture or three and post on a hosting site (alt.home.repair is usenet group with no binaries) and almost certainly can tell which.

If you've got pieces out and can show unfinished side and ends besides finished surface would make it easier.

Strip flooring is certainly still available; the narrow under 2" sizes are harder to find and may not be available from the box stores, but still can get.

We just added an entry onto the old farmhouse with 1-1/4" just this last spring; can't tell the difference from the original after the refinishing.

Reply to
dpb