Homebase

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44248409
It was never going to end up well.
JoeJoe expressed precisely :

Nope, they have been a mess for years...
For the caravan, I swapped over to a certain brand of exchangeable lightweight gas bottle - a great system originally developed by BP, available at BP garages and cheaper than Calor. BP pulled out, Macgas bought the rights, since when access to the bottles has been 'difficult' with so very few stockists. That is except for Homebase. Homebase put in a policy of only swapping bottles, if you had bought the original deposit from them and could produce the original receipt, even then the swap cost was over £32 when with difficulty it could be found from other sources for £24-50, but well scattered.
Last year Homebase dropped the requirement for the original bottle receipt and dropped the price to a much more reasonable £27-50. This year they ramped the price up to a whopping £41-99. I managed to find a stockist selling for £27-50 50 miles away, then a much more local supplier willing to source the gas and deliver it to home for £27-00, who is to deliver later today.
On Fri, 25 May 2018 09:13:07 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I've just got one of these for the caravan & also use it on the patio for the BBQ.
http://www.safefill.co.uk/
£160 investment for the 10Kg, but I own it & the initial fill was the grand sum of £9 for about 16.5l. A third of the cost of a Calor 6Kg exchange, for 50% more gas in a comparable cylinder footprint.
On 25/05/2018 11:30, DC wrote:

Their site shows not a single Safefill filling retailer within the M25 - nor anywhere near it. Seems to me rather odd.
--
Robin
On 25/05/2018 11:54, Robin wrote:

And the smaller cylinders out of stock in the whole of England and Scotland.
Perhaps they take the deposit and runnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.
How much longer are they staying in business!
Robin wrote :

I think the Safefill system means you can fill up at any petrol station which has an LPG pump outlet.
On 25/05/2018 13:36, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Not in practice. From the Safefill site: "LPG is now available on many petrol station forecourts however as the industry has had concerns about people illegally filling rented cylinders, you may be refused in many of these..."
--
Robin

[23 lines snipped]

s/illegally//
I'd suggest that the cylinder owners restraint of trade is likely more illegal than your filling them. And if it is a problem, beg/buy/steal a cylinder from your local tip.
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 72nd day of Discord in the YOLD 3184
On 25/05/2018 15:55, Huge wrote:

Thanks but no traditional cylinder will give me the weight saving offered by Safefill and their like, and which appeals as I get ever older/weaker.
And I think their point about "illegally" needs to be unpacked. AIUI it is that:
a.    garages have concerns about people filling rented bottles which aren't designed for DIY filling at pumps and AIUI is illegal
b.    so they play safe and decline to sell to anyone filling a bottle.
I don't see how that is restraint of trade. AFAICS it's also not unlawful discrimination - unless someone can argue successfully it is on the basis of a protected characteristic under the Equality Act. Now if Safefill gave cylinders to a load of travellers and sponsored their case...
--
Robin
On Friday, 25 May 2018 14:58:39 UTC+1, Robin wrote:

s the

what's illegal about it?
NT

I assume that most bottle hire agreements, where you don't own the bottle, say you can't refill their bottle. Usually on a contractual basis as well as safety.
Fredxx brought next idea :

Refillable designs include an over filling preventer, the none refillable types do not. For safety, the fill needs to be limited so as to allow some gas space above the liquid level.
Jim K laid this down on his screen :

Apart from the throw-away cartridges, they are all refillable, including my own BP Gaslight system. The suppliers I assume, drain them completely, then refill with an amount measured by weight or volume - that is something which is less easy to safely accomplish on a garage forecourt.
The several tanks which are designed for the user to refill, include a float valve type to prevent them being over filled.
Me- I have two BP Gaslight bottles which use a 27mm clip on adaptor. When one becomes empty, I seek out an exchange for a full one. Problem the logistics - that often involves taking along a near empty one and a fresh full bottle for when that runs out, so it would be nice to be able to transfer the contents of say a 1/4 full bottle, into a 1/2 full bottle. That way I would only ever need to have one bottle in my front locker.
My system uses a 27mm clip on adaptor, connected to a regulator on a bulk head, connected via a high pressure hose. I could connect two bottle together with a high pressure hose, using two 27mm clip ons to allow me to transfer, except for the fact that each clip on has a built in one way valve which allows flow out from the cylinder, but not in.
I used to use Calor bottles, but they are expensive and being steel they are heavy. Back in the 1970's they introduced an alloy bottle which I bought into, then they stopped offering them. When the BP light composite bottle arrived, I bought into them (bottle deposits are not cheap), the refills were also cheaper than Calor.
I understand Calor did their best to kill the BP Gaslight system, by restrictive practices. Any dealer who tried to sell BP gas, was refused supply of Calor bottles.
Homebase sold BP, but they were uber expensive, along with just a few independents. The BP Gaslight system was then bought by Macgas, who continued to supply Homebase and reluctantly it seemed, the independents. Macgas seems to have not really promoted the BP system since they bought it, for reasons best known to themselves.
I had a fresh BP bottle delivered yesterday by an independent. He doesn't normally stock them, but agreed to have a go at getting them. He said he had quite a struggle getting a bottle from his supplier. He charged me £27 - yet Homebase quoted £41-99 for the same 10Kg bottle refill.
Macgas insist they can do nothing about how much Homebase charge. It is a far better system than Calor's offering, potentially cheaper - it just needs to be properly marketed and actually sort out a proper, reliable supply network.
On Fri, 25 May 2018 11:54:25 +0100, Robin wrote:

Well I'm well outside the M25 & got mine from https://www.lodgefarmleisure.com/ who have invested in a propane tank. They sell lots of them but do struggle with getting them due to their popularity.
You can fill these at petrol stations but some don't like it due to safety concerns, so thay have a document for you to show at petrol stations.
http://www.safefill.co.uk/pdf/petrol-heads-up-2017.pdf
I should add they are also light, as they are plastic apart from the gas connections. Also safe in the event of a fire, they will gracefully spring leaks & burn off in a controlled manner.
I think it's 8 refills for ROI campared to exchange bottles.
After serious thinking DC wrote :

The absolutely identicle container to the BP Gaslight container, 5Kg and 10Kg apart from - The BP has a green upper whereas that has red and it has a safefill float valve built in to prevent over filling.
My full BP bottles arrive with the liquid up to the top of the upper 'window' in the white plastic. I had a fresh 10Kg delivered here as an exchange, for the sum of £27 inc delivery - bargain compared to Homebase's attempt to rob people.
On 25-May-18 8:32 PM, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

gasit easyfill https://www.gasit.co.uk/gas-it-easyfill-gas-bottles.html
aluminum http://www.autogasshop.co.uk/alugas-lightweight-alloy-bottles-111-c.asp steel http://www.autogasshop.co.uk/gaslow-refillable-r6701-gas-bottle-range-93-c.asp
non refillable plastic https://www.flogas.co.uk/news/flogas-britain-launches-innovative-gaslight-lpg-cylinder
Fundamental difference between normal bottle whether metal or plastic and refillable is the self refil ones have float shut off valve to ensure there is 20% ullage space. But operation is very defendant on the person filling it making sure it's upright.
Peter Hill explained on 26/05/2018 :

Thanks, I had not come across those before.
That again is identicle to my BP /Macgas Gaslight bottle, except the blue top is green on on my bottles. I very much doubt they are 'non refillable' the bottles are too expensive for single use.
I will make some enquiries with Macgas/Flogas.
On 26-May-18 11:02 AM, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

None "user" refillable like a steel calor bottle. Calor refill them. Flogas refill these.
As they are translucent you may be able to see the level. LPG needs 20% ulage space.
Pol to LPG autogas adapters are under £30 on E-bay.
On 25/05/2018 08:48, JoeJoe wrote:

The only thing I can think of are the bonuses the investment bankers who advised them on the deal got as a result ;-)

Wesfarmers don’t use investment bankers.
They do their own fuckups.