Homebase ?

We've been on holiday over xmas, and went to call into our local Homebase earlier today (Edge Lane, Liverpool) - shock horror, its shut down.

Went to the next nearest one we could think of in Warrington - gone.

Has something happened while we were away ? (we don`t go past there often, so any time in the last 6 months or so might give us a clue)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Interesting! According to their website, the branches in Edge Lane and Warrington are still there! Are you sure that you're looking in the right places?

My local one (Warwick/Leamington) was still there when I drove past yesterday.

Reply to
Set Square

In message , Set Square wrote

The Op was looking in Liverpool - the store has probably been stolen.

Reply to
Alan

A search of the web turns up that they are moving about 500 jobs from Homebase roles to co-locate with Argos, but also a comment that they will be opening more Homebase and Argos stores (it might be the 'more' is only Argos -- it's not clear).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Tunbridge Wells Homebase is still there, or it was when I walked past it on Friday on the way to the station.

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I just looked out of the window and the Herne Bay branch hasn't moved!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Definitely at the right location for Edge Lane (we were "regulars") - as for Warrington, it looks like that might have been relocated.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I hope so. That is all they are fit for.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Homebase are going into megastores that sell everything from soft furnishing, furniture to DIY and gardening. Maybe the smaller stores are going because a megastore is to be built somewhere local but near excellent roads. These megastore don't need to be local as people drive 20-30 miles to go to them.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Yep - the edge lane one is closed (about 2 weeks or so now) although the aintree one is still open as we went there after finding out the edge lane one was closing (and did not have what we needed). Not really a shame as we only buy showers for our rental properties in homebase - B&Q edge lane and Speke is fine for the rest (plus the usual builders merchants etc)

Reply to
justcalledfubar

The Milton Keynes branch relocated recently, with the old site now turned into a huge toys 'r' us.

The new location has appalling road access and as Drivel said, a lot of soft furnishings and crap etc.

Reply to
RedOnRed

heh it was on bricks.

Reply to
justcalledfubar

A new Homebase and Argos (separate buildings on a single site) being built in our town for opening in Spring.

Geo

Reply to
Geo

The one in Aintree, Liverpool is still there. At least it was last weekend.

ZD

Reply to
Zipadee Doodar