garage doors repairs and replacement

Hello,

Our garage door broke again today. It's a metal one you lift to open. One of the cables got tangled so it would not shut.

This happened on the other side some months ago. The repairman did show me what to do in case it ever happened agin, but I forgot ;)

Am I right to think you remove the track the roller runs along and then remove the roller, thus freeing the cable. then get one person in each corner and lower the door and then refit everything in reverse order?

What's the life expectancy of a garage door? The people we bought the house from left us all the instructions and receipts, so we know this is ten years old. Is it time to get a new one?

If so, how easy is it to get one from Wickes and fit it yourself, or should I call in a professional?

Thanks.

Reply to
nospam

Isn't there some kind of tension adjustment that allows the cable to be lifted off the roller with the door closed. I fixed one a few weeks ago but can't remember the details.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

There's no good reason to change the door - they last a very long time as long as they don't corrode, which is down to maintenance.

If this is the kind of door that has a big spring along the top then there are usually two wires, one each side, going down to conical plastic pulleys. You can get "cone and cable" sets from builders merchants and they are not too difficult to replace. The vital thing is that there should be a clip in the set - looks a bit like a giant hairpin made of about 4mm steel. This goes through a hole in the top bar and stops it rotating, thus preventing the spring from unwinding. There is huge torsion stored in the spring and thr clip is what stops it relaesing suddenly when you are working on it.

Once its safe, its relatively easy to unfasten the four bolts hodling the door in place, fold down the mechanism and swap the cone and cable. Usually they come in pairs and both are replaced at once. You'll need a pin punch to knock out the dowel holding the cone on its shaft. The sets usually have instructions.

In my experience, living close to the sea, the cables are not long lived - I reckon to get about 5 years is good going.

Hope this helps

Reply to
Norman Billingham

Mine is 25 years old and still opens with one finger - the secret is to lubricate the mechanism. The trouble is that not many homes now have an oil can. Oil / grease will also deal with problems that can arise from living near the sea.

One big problem is that when new houses are built, the door mechanisms usually get a good coating of sand and grit. Start from new - keep it all clean and oiled.

Reply to
John

Be very careful not to release the tension in the spring.

My door is 30+ years old and spares are still available from

If it's a compatible brand then they have all the spares and tools you need. Compare the cost against calling your man out again. You can 'phone then for advice.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

The ones I've dealt with had a drilled hole through one end of the spring shaft, through which you insert a suitable rod, when the door is closed, to keep the tension on the spring. To the OP, if you can find this hole, and use it, then do that, then get a 2nd person to lift up the door on the damaged side, then you, from the inside can untangle, and re-attach the cable properly. It may take 2 or

3 attempts, but can be done. It is possible on your own, but a little more difficult. Alan.
Reply to
A.Lee

Thanks. What type of oil or grease is best and how often should it be applied and to which parts?

Reply to
nospam

Thanks. A few replies have talked about working on it once the door is closed. The problem we have is that the door always breaks when we try to shut it, so it is stuck in the open position. The canopy is then in the way of the spring, so I think I need to find some way to safely close the door sot hat I can get access to the spring to work on it.

Reply to
nospam

Anything is better than nothing - but I tend to use a spray grease (not WD40 as this has no thickness) on the track and a dribble of engine oil along the spring and over the pulleys.

Reply to
John

IME vaseline is as good as anything, and might save you a trip to Halfords. Just apply it the once as it never dries out.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Ah yes, the memories come flooding back. You need a mate on the outside, and possibly a length of 2" x 1" timber to prise it into the opening as it comes down.

Reply to
Stuart Noble