Earthquake?!?!

You got the footings right, the counterbalances, and the escape pods, but....

You didn't figure them dam resonant frequency's......Arrrrrrrrggggggg........

creative1986

Ah yes... In a science tv program I once watched, they talked about that in relation to bridges.

Hi from the Atlantic coast (Nova Scotia), where I've just moved, incidentally. Had two scoops of ice cream at Peggy's Cove last week: Cashew-currie (surprisingly good) and '3 berries' or whatever the name was.

Thanks for your older post about straw bale BTW. What's been happening this summer over there?

Reply to
Warm Worm

Where did you move, why, and who is after you?

Are you going for the boatbuilding or housebuilding first?

RicodJour

Hi Rico, I'm currently in Liverpool... I like the area, and it is in part for and as part of my investigation of other suitable places to live for myself and the Transitional/Permacultural/resilient lifestyle. No one I'm aware of is after me. :)

Housebuilding probably, unless it's as a boatbuilding course, which is unlikely at this point.

FYI, I've taken and included some quick photos of my "office" (dormer off a gambrel roof?) and a couple of builds in the area (struggled with this new UFRaw software):

Warm Worm

It does seem small unless the tourists are included. As such, I'm unsure I'd like to live there, but it's fun to pass through, if only for the ice cream. :) Hopefully, I won't have to return to Ottawa.

Reply to
Warm Worm

I'm not seeing a gambrel or a dormer in any of those 4 pictures. Also, the windows in the notebook computer picture don't match the windows in any of the other pictures.

Reply to
creative1986

Yeah, there's one flik that shows a suspension bridge, I think in Missouri, with an old 30's or 40's car on it, swinging like a hammock in a stiff breeze.

Well, I closed my store in May cause management was hostile and it came down to gutting them like fish or just leave, so I left. Did a major re-do on over 1000 sf of deck at our house and revamped the entire railing system. Have my first major client here in hoosierville whom I've designed several projects for thus far. Still hit the headboard on a regular basis. On July 18th I did a 684 note scale (roughly 4 minutes) of "Return to Serenity" flawlessly which has been my passion for more than 8 years. Have created a series of small house plans available for purchase online. Have also installed most of my custom woodworking creations on the same website/shopping cart. Actively searching for an early 20th century upright piano to rebuild. Drank 4 beers about 2 weeks ago. That's about it.

Reply to
creative1986

That's right... I popped out and took a quick snap, posted at the same link.

As you might gather from the image, the original old lines of the house (roof line) seem to have a nice classic proportion, but the additions in back as you can partially see on the one side of it give the house a kludgy look. The new massing just messes it up. It's apparently one of the oldest houses in the area (and a wallet-killer to heat, which is why I'm moving into a smaller place in Oct.). You can see the other side (older paint/tile job) here (too lazy to step outside to take another pic :)

I'll miss my office.

Reply to
Warm Worm

I seem to recall with the nickname like 'Gerty' or 'Mathilda'.

What store? What were you selling? If it was your store, what were you doing with having to deal with any kind of managment? You mean like in management of leased-space/building? Any new options for the store since?

The owner of the house here sent in an appraiser and I took the opportunity to make some quick inquiries... Apparently there's a guy near here who I got a name and number for who did an off-grid post-and- beam (straw-bale?) house; and that the building code minimum house size is 450sq. ft. (no matter the length or width I think).

What does that mean? Regular sex?

Congrats. Perhaps you might like to one day record that and post it. I'll check out "Return' " and see what kind of tune it is. Maybe I know of it.

Sounds like fun.

A couple of days ago, hot as July, I rollerbladed out of the shallow harbour area that Liverpool sits at and down the road to a spot on the edge of the Atlantic for the first time.

I got in the water up to my thighs. Kelp and sea urchins and clear saltwater that I tasted as I do as tradition, rather like the pope kissing the ground.

It was warm enough to swim or wade in one of the pools among the rocks (rocky shore area), but I hadn't brought a change of shorts so I just enjoyed the atmosphere.

Brought a coffee mug full of ice-slush milk-brewed East Timor bean coffee with a shot of vodka along for the trip, and my camera just in case:

The 'pool' image is where I'm in the water. The pool drains a little in between the wave, and some waves/swells (you can sort of make one out near the horizon-line) can crest over suddenly, rapidly swamping the pool, so I took a small risk just so you could maybe get a bit of a feel for almost being there. ;)

Reply to
Warm Worm

Nashville, IN is known worldwide as the *Artist Colony of the MidWest* and I decided to involve myself in it over a year ago. I leased some premium property and initiated a major marketing campaign with excellent success but in short order realized I was being commandeered by basal neanderthals that only recognize extreme violence. While I am quite capable of dealing with them on that level I find the whole manner of methodry unredeeming and sought an amicable way out, an onward. As always, money solves all so I bought the cavepeople out. In the past few years I have rewakened a 40 year old skill and talent that has been dormant and have exploited it to my financial and creative benefit. I, and everyone else, am limited only by my, and our, imaginations - something that is generally lost in the transformation from child to adult. While the physical store has closed it has opened and expanded on the web. It is an ongoing work in progress.

Is that inside or outside square footage? If it's outside square footage the interior space will be rather small. I think bales are about 16-18 inches wide. Look up a site called "Green Home Advisor". I have subscribed to their newsletter for sometime now and they cover a broad range of topics including the straw bales. There's a plethora of info in that stuff.

Regular is a given. I speak in grander terms, olympic even. LOL

Frankly, it is so difficult that I am not sure it was *flawless*. Listen to it and if you have an idea how a guitar works you'll see what I mean. Nuances carry weight.

Designing buildings has always been fun for me, I'll never tire of it.

Are you taking about England, Great Britain or whatever they call it these days?

The 1st pik is indeed pretty rocky, maybe dangerously so. The 2nd pik puts me in mind of a bog. The 4th pik is a gambrel roof with at least 1 small dormer in view.

Reply to
creative1986

Liverpool, Nova Scotia, Canada. Sharing the same coast more or less as Rico in NY. Great Britain's overpopulated, and in fact, so is Earth. We wanted our collapse, Don, well, here it appears.

More dangerous for sure in a less calm day. It was a calm day, and still a little surprising.

I didn't exactly know where I went-- just wanted to get more out the the harbour and onto the Atlantic proper-- so I looked it up:

Moose harbour.

Didn't see any moose swiming around, but did have a green bug willingly climb onto my hand and attempt to sample my flesh. It looked a little like a katydid, but I don't know.

What do you make of the rooftype of the 'saltboxgambrel' image? Is that what you'd call it? Some kind of hybrid roof? It's one of my favourite houses of the area. Interestingly, many of my favourite buildings (but to live in) are garages. I'll take a few shots of a few and post them when/if I can.

I have since moved out the the yellow house and into an apartment that's more my scale of lifestyle.

Reply to
Warm Worm

You bought the place you were leasing?

Best with it.

That's one big deck. I could live on less than half of it.

Don't know. I'll assume inside for the sake of design.

Will do, thanks.

What about woman on top? Let her hit the headboard for a change.

I'll get back to you on my interpretation.

Reply to
Warm Worm

I never wanted collapse. I wanted, and still want, people to start acting like people instead of animal/machine hybrids. Principles will have their way.

There are a series of terms in the housing industry that have become sort of euphemistic vernacular in that they mean whatever the speaker wants them to mean and saltbox is one of them. I know what saltbox is according to my schooling but that seems to differ in what the term can now mean. We all know what a ranch is, but when it is applied to a house *style* it means everything that isn't something else. IOW, whatever the builder felt like building. Realtors had to come up with a term to describe such houses, and there are probably more of them than any other *style* so some marketing genius in the 50's came up with the catch-all term ranch. Another is pole barn. In another universe I have designed real pole barns for agricultural purposes. Then I move here to Hoosierville and find the term has expanded to mean just about anything. A grasshopper just now jumped on my keyboard so I have to throw its ass outside before one of the gurlz takes a hankering to it. BRB. IB and it took 2 throws cause it wouldn't let go of my hand. Believe it or not my conventionally framed office/workshop/ garage with lap siding has been referred to as a pole barn. Go figure.

Is

I subscribe to the Green Building Advisor and recently became familiar with the term Larson Truss and just yesterday while researching antique barns I found out about Jamesway dairy barns and the Star Truss system. Inneresting stuff. I'm doing a 1 point perspective drawing in autocad of the framing members of one of these barns, 36' span, 46' from floor to roof peak, 80' long. Dawgeez. Lot's a stix in them things and most of it is big stuff too.

Reply to
creative1986

Right. The Larson is not an end in itself but simply a starting point for alternatives. As of yet, venting issues, which are supposed to alleviate mold and mildew, still have not been resolved apparently. Ya roll the dice then deal with the results. There are *natural* harmonics at work here and trying to ignore them is like swimming upstream. It's best to study them and find methods that work *with* the natural paths rather than against them. There's some stuff on the web that uses *heated air is lighter air* methodry that causes a natural venting process. Cold air enters the wall at the bottom and as the sun warms it, it rises and then is pumped into the interior space, continues upward and is vented at the top of the roof. The Jamesway dairy barns have a similar system for venting what Vitruvius called the *evil vapors*. Yes, they knew about this stuff thousands of years ago and worked with solutions, even in the primary layout of cities and communities. The way cities and communities have been laid out in recent centuries ignored this ancient wisdom at their own peril.

Reply to
creative1986