OT: Bloody Nora!

Origin of the expression:
"Bloody Nora was originally called Norah and the maid for the wealthy Duke Wodingtonshire in the 17th century. She earned the name Bloody Norah after she killed a servant of the duke with a stick of celery. When the Duke caught her repeatedly slapping the bloody corpse with the stick of celery he shouted "Oh dear god you''re all bloody, Norah...." and after beating her he banished her to a basement cell for 3 years. When the 3 years was up the Duke set her free but Norah insisted on working for the Duke..."
Well, this is about as reliable as anything else you might read in the Guardian.
https://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-24596,00.html
--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!

On Sun, 26 May 2019 09:20:36 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom

1. You don't read the Guardian, you are too thick to appreciate it's contents. If you bought a copy, you should get a refund.
2. Your version differs from the papers. Do you Brexit morons lie about everything.
This is a DIY group, most are capable of following the links you post.
Why dont you go back to Googling answers to DIY questions, you were much more entertaining when acting as a gofor for things you were clueless about.
Poor old Doomed Dimwit, another home goal.
AB
On 26/05/2019 09:19, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:

You're too thick to recognise CD has just read the Guardian. Are your levels of comprehension and inference from reading a post that poor?

Reading the Guardian is a bit more involved than looking at the odd snippet from the internet.
The cost of a Guardian is quite high, readers have to be fairly serious about the quality of news they are buying to invest.
I don't buy the paper version too often, but yesterdays was £3.20
Anyway, a net subscription or buying the thing is a commitment to serious journalism. The readers that appreciate its value are not likely to twist it's output to say something that was not printed or intended. Generally they have higher aspirations than attempts at a few cheap laughs at something that fails to support their simplistic ideology.
Doomed Dimwit is not a Guardian reader. I repeat, he is too thick.
I am not a Mail, Telegraph, Sun, Express, Star, Times reader, but occasionally I do drop links in to their more ridiculous snippets. They are generally some of the more laughable ramblings that pop up in "News Now".
God forbid that I should ever be accused of reading any of the rubbish past the first page.
I had quite a bit of exposure to the gutter press during the build up to Iraq, I was on a construction site with not too much to do. After I had read the Guardian, Irish Times and Independent, I would try some of the rubbish in the mess room.
I then understood totally why the H&S induction seemed to be aimed at retards.
AB
On Sunday, 26 May 2019 11:40:32 UTC+1, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:

I'm pretty sure that meets the defintion of reading.

I'm sure guardian readers are serious. Possibly too serious about what they read.

I don't see why anyone with such a commitment would pay for the grauniad

From what I've seen of life on earth that seems to be a failing of humans g enerally. I can't see guardian readers having enough grasp of the world to avoid that.

yes, fwliw. It's all very well taking news seriously, but it still needs to be well written news or the reader is not going to understand the world. A nd the guardian just isn't.

On Sun, 26 May 2019 09:54:42 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I support the Guardian because it is one of the very few papers left in the UK that provide fair balanced reporting and hold our MP's to account.
I find that some contributors analysis of events and predictions that come to pass quite awesome.
The paper is one of the solid bases of British democracy, it has integrity and Britain would be far, far worse off without it.
That is why I pay to support the paper.
For the not so serious side, it has people like Steve Bell and Martin Rowson, they can throw humour on some pretty dire situations.
AB
On Sunday, 26 May 2019 18:08:48 UTC+1, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:

You pay to support it because you can't see what's so wrong with it.
On Sun, 26 May 2019 16:33:54 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

I suppose at least with Lefty rags like the Guardian one has a free choice as to whether or not to buy it.
Can't say the same for the BBC, though. Pay through the nose to be patronised and lied to relentlessly by a bunch of smug, sanctimonious hypocrites - or go to jail. And no government will do a damn thing about it.
--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!

On Mon, 27 May 2019 00:52:50 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom

As I stated you do not read the Guardian. Anyone "investing" in the paper is likely to have a broader opinion of their surroundings.
I don't pay for the BBC and don't watch it in the UK. It was a choice based on value for money and the drop in standards of the only worthwhile channels on TV.
I still watchthe BBC outside the UK, but find that it plays second fiddle to other nations reporting. Brexit did show what a nice easy time the BBC gives the UK's MP's.
It seems like you do not need the news anyway Doomed Dimwit, either it confirms whatever garbage you are spouting or it's lies, so why bother.
AB
On Sun, 26 May 2019 16:33:54 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I think you missed the point. I did not say or imply that.
AB

See sig....
--
Please don't feed the trolls

Indeed, another Brexit merchant that is helpless without the lies.
Not really Guardian territory is it, lies and half truths
AB
On Sun, 26 May 2019 09:20:36 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom

Does the originator of that explanation really expect us to believe that Wodingtonshire is/was a real place, and that you can kill someone by hitting them with a stick of celery?
--

Chris

Doomed Dimwit believes Farage and Boris.
AB
On 26/05/2019 09:14, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:

'slop believes Corbyn and May.

Slop?
May distorts the truth so badly I cannot imagine that she seriously thinks anyone is taken in, apart maybe from a few knuckle dragging Brexit morons.
Corbyn hasn't said anything. The implications he makes are a deception, his "customs union" is a fabricated farce.
Really it is a show for labour and Tory knuckle draggers, the pair are being deceptive, but anyone taken in by the deception, much like Doomed Dimwit and his "intellectual" quotes, is too thick to be of relevance.
AB
On 26/05/2019 09:15, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:

Given May is a Remainer, and she said no deal is better than a bad deal, the only knuckle dragging morons are those who follow her quest of thwarting Brexit.

Customs union is no farce, only thought so by knuckle dragging remainer morons.

A "deal" at this stage is not Brexit, it never could be.
Only the morons would be taken in by it.
She would not dare have thwarted Brexit, the civil unrest would be pretty dire :-)

Customs union isn't Brexit. Remain or not it would take a real advanced class of imbecile to be taken in by it.
Corbyn didn't say he would have a customs union, just negotiate.
That word "negotiate" was aimed at an audience much like your good self.
One can "negotiate" for the site of a new naval dockyard in Stafford and impress the retards with the prospective job creation. Delivering isn't quite the same though.
Not too honest, but as I say it would need a retard of quite exceptional learning disabilities to swallow a Labour customs union ploy this side of Brexit.
Remainers wouldn't be fooled, basically anyone voting remain would have done it on facts, economics and observation. The leave voters would be susceptible as they voted for lies, gut feelings and patriotism as stirred up by the none UK resident press moguls.
AB

Probably not, I would think. Scientific analysis suggests that humour may have been intended, even if wasted on parts of the audience.
--

Roger Hayter

On Sun, 26 May 2019 18:30:42 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@hayter.org (Roger Hayter) wrote:

It's never clear with these things whether the editor saw the joke and published anyway, or didn't see the joke. Many years ago there was a letter in the (Cornish) Guardian, saying that archaeologists had unearthed a bronze urn in the bed of a local river, bearing the following inscription "ITI SAPIS SPOTANDI TISA BIGONE". You were left wondering whether the editor got the joke.
--

Chris