bloody Ikea

In 2009 I installed a complete Ikea Faktum System kitchen....I now find I need new doors on most of the units.....went to Ikea tody and found all their base and wall units are now 800mm high instead of the old 700mm hight...BASTARDS!......does anybody know if any place can supplt new door fronts that will fit ?

Ouch a kitchen that only lasts 8 years
I think I'd be looking for another supplier
tim
On 14/11/2017 16:47, tim... wrote:

Buy cheap/poor quality and you live to regret it. The kitchen we replaced must have been 20 years old but it was still in good condition, just 'dated'. Someone short on cash took it and reused it- I expect they will get another decade plus out of it. It was a Roseby - I assume the previous owners had fitted it. I swapped some of the units around when we bought the house then we changed it about 8 years ago. The replacement still looks new.
As for Jim's problem, there is a company that makes doors to order for those trying to do things on the cheap and use old units. They advertise in various national newspapers. I've not used them but I heard someone mention them on 80m. They will even 'copy' an existing door to replace a damaged one- that was the discussion on 80m.
Possibly one of these: https://www.kitchen-magic.com/?gclid IaIQobChMImN-jhJXA1wIVpbXtCh2OeQPwEAAYAyAAEgJ0WPD_BwE
https://www.kitchendooroutlet.co.uk/?gclid IaIQobChMImN-jhJXA1wIVpbXtCh2OeQPwEAAYASAAEgKUvvD_BwE
https://www.kitchendoorworkshop.co.uk/?gclid IaIQobChMImN-jhJXA1wIVpbXtCh2OeQPwEAAYAiAAEgJFwvD_BwE
http://www.kitchenandbedroomdoors.co.uk/?gclid IaIQobChMImN-jhJXA1wIVpbXtCh2OeQPwEAAYBCAAEgLNavD_BwE

Why is it doing it 'on the cheap' if all you want to do is change the look of the kitchen with new doors?
--
*Never miss a good chance to shut up.*

Because it is probably cheaper than replacing the whole kitchen. Say 10 doors at the £90/door someone mentioned. Where can you get a complete kitchen for £900 ?
It also wasn't clear if Jim was replacing all his doors or just some damaged ones- there was mention of hinge repair etc. If you only need a few doors to replace damaged ones but match the others, using the custom door makers (even at the £90 /door some have mentioned) may well be attractive.

I'd hope it would be cheaper than buying a complete new kitchen. But I can't see the point in replacing the lot if it is just the doors that need replacing. Doing something 'on the cheap' suggests a bodge.

When I came to update my home made kitchen by fitting hew doors, the sizes had changed from Imperial to Metric. ;-) The doors and drawer fronts I got from one of the sheds - IIRC B&Q - are still good as new, though, after quite a few years.
--
*Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life *

I 'scratch built' a kitchen back in about 1982. I'm not sure it was cost effective but it was certainly built to last. Since then I've either bought units or, in the current one, had someone do it. Although I did 'rearrange' the kitchen in the current house shortly after we moved it. It had an expensive kitchen which was ok and 'did' until we replaced it. It must have been 20+ years old when it was removed and someone took it to reuse. I think it was a Roseby. It was just a bit 'dated'.

One reason I built my own is I really couldn't see just why you had to have a cupboard side every place you needed a hinge for a door, or drawer runner - just wastes available space.
--
*Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.

On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 4:31:21 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

So what would you mount the hinges and drawer runers on ?
Kitchens are made up from standard units, little boxes if you will. This eases manufacture and installation.

A wood frame made for the purpose.

Which would be fine if room were made to standard units too.
--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film *

Steel frame welded from 12mm rhs in my case.
Vastly better than a series of particle board boxes stacked side by side.

But wastes rather more spade, wastes double or more the space between them.

On 17/11/2017 10:25, fred wrote:

A face frame would be the usual way to deal with the doors. Drawer runners can be either suspended from the cabinet top, or separate drawer boxes can be fixed where required.

Indeed - if you need to produce a standard product that will mostly fit any location. If building a bespoke installation, then you can make it fit exactly.
--
Cheers,

John.

ITYF it's not particularly "on the cheap"
Having doors made to fit comes in at a similar cost to buying a completely new carcass and doors. Especially as for most people the worktops are as worn out as the doors
You just save on the aggro of having your kitchen upside down for a week (just a day instead)
tkim
On 15/11/2017 12:56, tim... wrote:

I wasn't suggesting changing doors was cheap- he should have bought a kitchen which would last. Jim is a cheapskate and cuts corners- ask him about his laptops.
He wanted doors so I suggested a source.

IKEA should be flogging doors separately so that’s its easy for those who want to update the appearance of their kitchens as cheaply as possible to just replace the doors.

He may have decided that with a 25 year warranty, those were likely to.
On 14/11/2017 15:52, I hate Ikea wrote:

These people advertise regularly round here but I have not used them and I don't know anyone who has used them.
I have no doubt that they "can" supply you with doors but I don't know at what cost.
https://www.dreamdoors.co.uk/locations/salisbury-kitchen-showroom/?gclid=CjwKCAiAxarQBRAmEiwA6YcGKMvaNrnBfId_FWrly1p5tiEI1_PJxoLdw74qmv-tZ0nirY_ExzPM8BoCFSkQAvD_BwE
--
Chris B (News)

On Tuesday, 14 November 2017 15:52:27 UTC, I hate Ikea wrote:

I presume they're a shape that can't readily be trimmed.
NT
replying to I hate Ikea, Iggy wrote: I presume they blew-out because of abuse and improper use...I've never seen the stuff destroy itself and have many examples of items 2 and 3-times as old that are perfectly solid. But, Chris B's got it right, there are plenty of Door and Drawer Front companies out there.

You can also drill-out the entire hinge attachment area to glue-in real wood for re-drilling. Or, you can spin or flip, patch and re-drill them to double their life. Once re-situated you can even glue the hinge cups and wings in. A step further would be to drill the sides of the cups and install nails with a nail-set.
On Tuesday, 14 November 2017 21:44:07 UTC, Iggy wrote:

In the end he either has the equipment to do what he needs or doesn't. So far he's yet to even bother telling us how the doors are constructed.
replying to tabbypurr, Iggy wrote: They should just be particleboard slab.