Ikea kitchen base units

I picked up an Ikea kitchen catalogue and wanted to compare prices with B&Q. I'd worked out how many units I needed but can't really compare because most of my units were going to be 1000mm base units and for some reason Ikea only do up to 800mm. Does anyone know the reason for this or have I read the catalogue wrong? I thought 500mm & 1000mm were the norm

Reply to
Brian

Cheaper ranges only do these widths. Other such as B&Q do 150, 300,

400, 500, 600, 800 and 1000. Without looking at an Ikea book it sounds as if they intend you to use 2 x 500 to fill a 1000 space, which has advantages (stiffer shelves) and disadvantages (cost, perhaps less useful storage, more wasted space in corners).
Reply to
Tony Bryer

Please don't do that -- turn off the HTML.

No, 600mm is the 'norm' in so far as there is one.

Looking at a 2003 IKEA kitchen catalogue, they do do 500mm units, but not in double width. They do the 600mm in double width -- 1200mm, mainly for use as a corner cupboard, but it works fine as a regular cupboard too, although there are no shelves for it (other than the rotating ones, which you can have removed from the order if you don't need them, and you would need an extra door and hinges too).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

And more legs to level up.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I'd worked out how many units I needed but can't really compare because most of my units were going to be 1000mm base units and for some reason Ikea only do up to 800mm. Does anyone know the reason for this or have I read the catalogue wrong? I thought 500mm & 1000mm were the norm

One thing to beware of. IKEA units are almost full depth and do not like pipes behind them on the wall. Exercise care and check before you buy, or you may find a base unit sticking out.

Reply to
EricP

I'd worked out how many units I needed but can't really compare because most of my units were going to be 1000mm base units and for some reason Ikea only do up to 800mm. Does anyone know the reason for this or have I read the catalogue wrong? I thought 500mm & 1000mm were the norm

The ranges are not directly comparable. Note that because non-IKEA unit have a substantial space behind the back panel that the corner units don't go to the corners, so as to put the same space on the side aswell. I found this out earlier this year when I tried to mix and match a pile of stuff.

I really should have got everything from the same place but I thought I could get away with it, which largely, I did. However what I mostly learnt was not slick ways of changing a 720mm B&Q wall cupboard into a 700mm HB unit, but not to be so clever.

Another big difference is that "900mm sq" corner units form B&Q can't take a carousel, and they are 925mm.

See this picture.

B&Q kitchens have a post in the corner which allows for the carousel to be fitted.

The only problem with using 2x500 (for a sink base say) is that you will have to more surgery on the cupboard that you would have to do with a 800 cupboard. However the 2x500 cupboard is stronger and you'll likely have to remove the middle support rails in the double cupboard.

A very big plus of the IKEA unit when fitting the sink is the lack of a void behind the cupboard. Other makers always seem to have the back panel exactly where the tails of the mono-mixer want to go.

Note that IKEA prices tend to be exclusive of shelves and hinges and legs which other ranges include. However you don't need as many legs or shelves as IKEA auto-add or others include.

Overall I'd say that IKEA are easier to fit provided you orgsanize the services to go in the rat^h^h^hkick-space.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

IIRC the Ikea carousel needs most of that space to rotate, which can be a problem if you have 25mm pipework behind.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

No. You could probably get a 110 soil stack down the corner. There might be problem if the pipes went up/down about 600mm from the corner. They then _might_ interfere with the carousel.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Last one I did had a pair of 25mm copper pipes and brackets running horizontally and we made it by the skin of out teeth.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I used the Ikea online kitchen planner and found it excellent.Totals up the order and prices automatically.

Also there should be 50 mm clearance behind the units - enough for neat pipework.

I have found Ikea furniture to be good quality and easy to fit out. Only problem is everyone else has it !!

Freddy

Reply to
freddyuk

Since I was replumbing the kitchen anyway, I simply made sure the pipework was all below the units (within 16cm of the floor, IIRC). I also used their kitchen units to make a fitted bathroom, at a small fraction of the cost of bathroom units, and they're much higher quality than all the overpriced bathroom units I saw. They were substantially modified for the purpose though.

I don't think I have any, except for the kitchen units. I have put together lots for other people though, and it always seems to work very well. Oh, actually I do have an IKEA dining table, which was an emergency purchase when I had just moved into a house and didn't have a table, some years ago.

I am nearly always rather dissatisfied with any type of light fitting for the home, which means I often make my own. The IKEA ones are very cheap and a good source of useful parts, such as the glassware.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel