OT: Barclays Online.

Been using Barclays online for years on the PC with few problems.

Decided to install it on the new phone to use it for contact less payments, etc. Any other banking I'll still use the PC.

Phone is set up for finger print 'pass'.

Worked OK - but on trying to log in the other day it demanded a 5 digit pass number as an additional check. And the only 5 digit number I have is the original from my online banking - which it refused.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Yep it is ridiculous, banks etc hand out pass codes like confetti and expect us to remember them when they are requested once in a blue moon.

The only answer is a password book.

Reply to
Pancho

And the removal of apps from your phone. Do this instead of adding them.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The phone app does occasionally ask me for the PIN instead of the fingerprint.

But to logon to the web banking, I need to identify with either the phone app (using fingerprint and/or 5 digit pin) or the debit card in a chip-n-pin "calculator thing" using the normal 4 digit pin for my debit card.

I don't remember whether online banking ever had its own 5 digit PIN, I have vague recollection of setting 5 digit pin for the app when it was installed?

Reply to
Andy Burns

You are correct. For the OP:

Richard

When you applied for online banking Barclays will have given you a 12 digit membership number which is used to login (or you can use your VISA card number) and a 5 digit passcode sent separately in the usual way. You have probably forgotten it. I convert mine to an ASCII hex equivalent to remind me what it is, but I can't remember when I last had to use it because I now just use the pin number card reader all the time.

Reply to
Andrew

It must be user settable somehow, as mine is one that I have chosen.

Reply to
Andy Burns

But if you have one of those card reader thingys then the 5 digit passcode is redundant, surely ?. I can't remember when I last had to enter it because I now only use the card reader for online banking. I also use Barclays telephone banking which is my preferred way of paying Bcard bills and that has another 5 digit passcode and because you are not using the internet, I guess it is more secure. That might change when the PSTN is all IP-based.

Reply to
Andrew

What kind of phone is it, Dave?

It frustrates me, this not naming a device or product. It quite often happens in uk.d-i-y, which I find odd, for a group dedicated to doing things right! Naming the device/product usually sharpens the focus on the issue.

Cheers John

Reply to
Another John

That?s not right. A password manager works fine.

Reply to
Alex

I should think the app works the same regardless of phone model, if he hadn't named the bank, your point would apply ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes I've had similar problems with Virgin who then give a capchar to solve which I can't so still no email set up on the phone. I think everyone is trying to stop fraud, and this is laudable but when it impacts the actual functioning of the system they need to do a rethink, surely?

I just don't do on line banking as in addition to your issues, there are often inaccessible display modes of your data and inaccessible dongles they send out, having apparently forgotten the 2.5 million people in the UK with failing eyesight or blind, simply because the system engineers think of a disabled person as merely having four wheels. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Or in Virgins case, never tell you in the first place or worse give you the wrong one. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

The phone app doesn't use the same login process as online banking through a browser. The 5 digit passcode is required as a security step in a similar way that your card pin is required when doing contactless payments after a number of transactions.

The 5 digit passcode can be changed at any time by the user in the app settings.

Reply to
Richard

that's not what Dave is talking about, it is what he should be using.

Works flawlessly on Android and iPhones here.

Reply to
Richard

As does a password book, which I use. The passwords written in an encrypted form that jogs my memory into remembering what it is while a complete stranger would be unable to work it out. This book never leaves the house and is quite safe. Lose your device where your password 'manager' is installed, which is possible if it is a mobile device, and you have a problem.

Just don't store passwords in a browser.

Reply to
Andrew

It pretty obviously *is* what he's talking about

His problem is that he's forgotten the passcode, you can change that from within the app under more/settings/change login passcode, but it's chicken/egg if the app wants proof of knowing the passcode to login (which it does occasionally)

Alternatively use a web browser to access the main online banking site, once logged in, at the top click "profile" then "Set up passcode and memorable word", obviously to avoid chicken/egg you'll need to use the pinsentry-reader+debit-card+pin method instead of the mobile-pinsentry method to authenticate.

Reply to
Andy Burns

My comment was about the ONLY.

The passwords written in an

Nope, not with the best phones which only allow you to use them.

Reply to
Alex

This only solves *one* of the problems you have if you lose the device with the password list.

Reply to
Tim Streater

My app asks for a pass number sometimes but unhelpfully doesn?t mention that you can still use your fingerprint, even after it?s asked for a number. I?ve learned to ignore the number request now.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+