OT - digital wallet on phone not tied to credite/debit card? Limited amount?

Asking here because "You know everything, Brian!". Which should be recognisable by the demographic here. :-)

I realise that the one item almost always with me is my mobile phone. For reasons.

So I imagined being out, and realising that I had my phone but had left my wallet behind.

I don't want to put a credit card onto my mobile phone because of the possible open ended nature of any losses if my phone gets stolen or compromised.

I remember that you can get cards into which you preload cash so that you can only spend a small amount and having the card stolen/cloned limits the risk to the amount on the card.

Still with me? Thanks.

Is there an equivalent Android App which can be loaded with a small amount for emergencies?

If not, would one of these preload cash cards work with a mobile phone App?

As usual, online search is not being helpful. Probably my lack of search term skills.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Well I only know about Apple pay, but the point is without your access details you cannot see the debit or credit card vital bits like the code from the reverse side etc. Of cours things can and do malfunction and I had a case where I had put my new debit card in, and authorised it, but on an update the phone had forgotten vital parts of the data, but would not let me reinput it as it said it was already there. The only option was a manual removal at Apple Pay hq, and a removal from the phone and a complete reinput from scratch. I have to say, Apple were very helpful but that is no consolation if you needed the dosh is it?

I don't know how android pay works I think the phones have to have some kind of rfid chip in them but apart from that I don't know. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Not sure how well this would work ...

Make your contactless payments to traders using Google PAY and set it up to draw down on a one-off credit you previously put on Google PLAY.

Reply to
Pamela