OT: Barclays online.

Just tried to use Barclays online to pay a bill - to a new payee. Where with Barclay's online, you need to use their Pinsentry device. Used it many times before with Win7/Firefox until upgrading to Win 10 recently.

Can log in no problem to my account, but not get to the Pinsentry bit. Get a message saying no6 error. Using the latest version of Firefox. Tried Edge - same thing, but no error message, just spent ages trying to load the Pinsentry bit. And timed out.

Downloaded Chrome which worked. So Microsoft's finest isn't good enough for Barclays. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have setup and paid several new people with firefox in the past few months/weeks ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I moved from Edge to Chrome some time ago when I had difficulties with a site. I was told that because Chrome is the market leader, most sites are designed around it and therefore it is best to use Chrome all the time.

Reply to
Scott

If it was "BP is the market leader, most cars are designed around it, so it's best to buy BP petrol all the time" Would you abandon Shell and Esso?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not *quite* a valid analogy though. Personally I don't have many problems with Chrome (and I have always liked the clean interface).

Reply to
newshound

OK with me too, Win10 Pro/32

However, after the upgrade I had trouble with a couple of screens because the Win10 did something strange with the brightness and/or contrast. On one particular screen all the boxes surrounding input fields were invisible until I adjusted the monitor. This made it impossible to do any sort of transaction immediately after upgrade because I couldn't make out what was being expected to be input.

The Met Office Rain radar has a progress line that is a series of dashes across the screen and before re-adjusting my monitor I could not see this progress line at all.

Reply to
Andrew

Little tip:

have more than one up to date browser installed on any system you intend to use in anger. I've found a few funnies between some sites that (typically) will work in Chrome, but not Firefox. Which is a shame as I really would rather not use Chrome.

I have Brave, Chrome, Firefox and Opera under Linux.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Chrome was nice, but quite aside from the Googly slurping it will be doing (whatever they say) I found it started grinding to a halt after a while.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I have never knowingly used Google Chrome.

Reply to
jon

It came out when I was a dev manager so I was rather made to ... at the time the only game in town was IE6. By which I mean that if you weren't running that and had issues it was bad luck.

There was a certain irony in that I was getting our website to work under all browsers at the same time as the company intranet was most definitely IE only.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

You only need one browser with windows though. I have never had to use another except for experimentation.

Having a second piece of hardware that can also do online banking etc is another matter, especially at the moment with all the libraries being closed. It might even force me to buy a mobile phone or tablet.

Reply to
Andrew

computer/car analogies rarely are :-)

I use chrome as a sandbox for for logging into gmail/youtube/play-music etc

But I prefer to not encourage a chrome/blink monoopoly any more than an ie/trident monopoly

Reply to
Andy Burns

It did work with Firefox and Win7 last time I needed it. Not sure how long ago - as setting up a new payee isn't something I do much.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There was a brief (3 week) period when Firefox was refused. Objection 6 AFAIR. You could get round it by clearing your cookies.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Ah yes, Barclays the folk who do the finance for Apple stores in the UK who could not find a way to verify I am me due to me not having a driving licence or a passport. I am blind, and that would make one of those impossible and the other less likely unless I was a globe trotter. Despite their protestations they are inclusive and have a bit cut off their cards to allow the blind to put them in machines the right way around, I see little sign of them changing their centre of the Universe attitude to everyone. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

That was what I was seeing (code - or whatever - 6). But Firefox is set to clear cookies every time it quits. And I shut the PC down when not in use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was told to do it manually. Not my expertise anyway. OK since.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Taking a different analogy, I used to have a Windows phone and had all sorts of problems with apps only available for Android and iOS. Now I have an Android phone with no problems installing apps. I would certainly abandon Windows Mobile, since you mention it.

Reply to
Scott