Big hole in wall but it doesn't fall down?

You'll have to watch this during daylight hours. Notice the enormous hole in the wall, yet there's a restaurant running above it?! What's holding that up?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I wonder if it's only the outer rendering that's flaked off, and there's a solid breezeblock wall behind it which is providing the structural strength. Even so, it's amazing that the rendering is still supporting its own weight.

Reply to
NY

triangle of pressure load or whatever it is called above the opening ...no lintel needed ...

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

Until the lateral walls bulge out :-)

Reply to
Andrew

Raining in Cardiff, as usual

Reply to
Andrew

needs a cam of the Q at Versailles

Reply to
tim...

Surely the brick in the middle of the top of the hole will fall, and so on.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I think you mean concrete block. Breezeblock is the stuff that weighs virtually nothing and you can smash it with your fist. It's only used for internal walls.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Holes don't fall its buildings that fall. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

But won't provide structural strength.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Are you insane? If you remove the hole, whatever was above it is now above empty space and is therefore subject to the forces of gravity.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The hole is holding up the brick?

Reply to