Where to buy wood online

I have been thinking about making a set of wood building blocks for my nephew because they want too much money for them in the stores but I need to find a good deal on some wood. Most of them seem to use Hard Maple or Rubberwood. The blocks are 1.5" thick and 2.75 wide. I found some Maple that is 1.75 x 3 for $.25 an inch. I think the Rubberwood should be cheaper but I can't find a source for it online. If any one has a suggestion for some other type of wood that would cost less and still be durable with out any finish I would love to hear an argument for it.

Reply to
Chris W

When I was a kid, I had a whole box full of wooden blocks that I know now were cut from 1x2 Douglas fir, and 2x2 sugar pine. No finish on any of them, and none needed: skin oil takes care of that. I played with them for years. Then my brother played with them for years. When they were young my boys played with those blocks too, every time we visited Grandma and Grandpa. Sure, the corners are worn down a bit, but they're still perfectly serviceable. Little boys don't care what the blocks are made of, or if the corners aren't quite sharp. They just want to build bridges and castles and forts.

Doug Miller

Chris When I was building furniture we used to give away small chunks. Why don't you find some cabinet/furniture shops in your area and see if they have hardwood scraps. I can give you some maple chunks if you want them. I have also shipped over 300 pounds of exotic scraps to pipe makers around the country. max

Reply to
max

Ditto. I'm pretty much set on Hard Maple. I can get it locally, but in your shows, I'd be tempted to consider a "UPS Bundle" from Wall Lumber.

20BF of 8/4 hard maple for $104 to your door.

Reply to
patrick conroy