OT: Another Telly Query

The remote may have a tuner/av button - or sometimes a "camera" channel. Unless you find a way to tell it to look at its sockets, it will otherwise assume it should take its signal from its internal tuner.

Reply to
John Rumm

What make / model of VCR is it? Is there a manual online somewhere?

On some, the AV inputs are just assigned channel numbers the same way they are on many TVs. So channels 1 - 96 are reserved for tuner channels, and the top few are for Scart in, Composite in, s-Video in etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

A mate of mine made the mistake of setting the menu language on his TV to eskimo or similar, and then promptly forgot the button press sequence to get back to that menu. ;-)

Needless to say the language he had selected "for fun" was so different from anything he could read, it took the best part of an hour to get out of that one!

Reply to
John Rumm

Weird!

I rerouted the kitchen leg of the aerial to the living room to prove that that worked but when I reconnected it to the VCR and tried again I found 105 services that weren't there before, but all was still not right. It seemed stuck on a programme that turned out to be BBC4 on 9. Inputting several other numbers that I typically use didn't change the channel.

After looking without success for more services for some time I found that many of the programs above 9 were there at which point I gave up and went to bed.

This morning I discovered that most of the channels I usually use are recorded near the end of the list in the 800 series. Now I can watch digital in the kitchen provided I can remember the channel numbers. Unfortunately this set top box doesn't have a next channel button so a restricted favourites list won't help.

At least that takes the pressure off the need for a new TV for the kitchen so I can resist the temptation to spend money until the urge goes away. (I do after all live in Yorkshire).

Many thanks again to all those who took the trouble to try and help me.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

i am precisely the same. squeeze every last drop out of existing kit. got three sontystb's off ebay..

because w'eve been there?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The answer you get to a question can depend on how it's worded. And with insurance, you have to be even more careful with this.

You spoke to Which on the phone? And were they selling this themselves, or was it just a recommendation? And did they state in the article it was suitable for your purpose?

For many years I bought most domestic good on the basis of their recommendations. Things I just wanted to work and last. So vacuum cleaners, etc. And have never once been disappointed. I'd read their reports about cars - which I enjoy driving - but would merely add their views to the ones I had formed myself. But although I might disagree with some of their conclusions, the data they provided proved remarkably accurate.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Most STBs use the 800 channel numbers for duplicate channels, .i.e. the box is receiving signals from more than one transmitter. The usual answer to this is to do a manual channel selection of only the best signal, but this does require knowledge of which transmitters you're getting signals from and what channels they're transmitting on.

Reply to
airsmoothed

I wonder where the STB is hiding those channels it saw as the originals.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

It might be an odd combination of seeing duplicate channels, but having some difficulty decoding the ones it thinks are the "main" versions. Do you know what transmitter you are on? In some cases you can fix this by doing a rescan and only plugging the aerial in during the part of the scan that covers your transmitter.

Reply to
John Rumm

I haven't found there is any relation between the channel numbers and anything.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

snip

The local transmitter is the Keighley relay (main Emley Moor). Line of sight two miles away across the valley and 500 feet higher. The analogue signal is so strong that I can get a fuzzy picture without an aerial provided the TV is adjacent to a window. Emley Moor is in the opposite direction with a big hill (not to mention the house) in the way. Skyline is 500 foot or higher in every direction.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Keighley basically relays Emley's output - so at least you should have some change of getting all the muxes. (many relays only carry the three public service muxes, rather than all six).

Details of the relay here:

things of note are that the original analogue channels were all tucked up toward the top of the spectrum, and so there is a fair chance many aerials installed will be group C/D or E rather than wideband. This poses a problem for Muxes C and D which will be out of band on many aerials in the area. Signal level are also currently very low (100W compared to the 10,000W used for analogue at the moment). The good news is that DSO for this relay is in September, and all the muxes will move back into the original aerial group, and power will increase dramatically to be the effective equal of that currently used for analogue.

The muxes you want are on channels 30, 34, 48, 53, 66, 68. There is a fair chance you wont get the lower two (hence no Dave, Sky News, Yesterday, ITV 4, Film 4 plus a shed load of dross).

You could try doing a reset on the box (if it has a reset to factory defaults option). Then doing a scan again. If it shows you progress through the channels from 21 up to 69, leave the aerial disconnected until it gets to about 47. See if that makes a difference.

Failing that, wait a couple of months and all will probably be well again.

Reply to
John Rumm

Forgot to say on my last post, there is a second relay at Keighley Town (i.e. a relay of the relay). That rebroadcasts 4 muxes in group A at a huge power of 6W

Have a look about half way down:

John Rumm

from another transmitter but I am not sure which it could be as the overlap button suggests it is probably Emley Moor itself although it apparently could be Skipton, Winter Hill or even Bilsdale.

My current aerial is mounted on the north wall of my house and looks like a C/D Yagi. It is pointing slightly downwards due rather than slightly upwards. Would that have a significant affect on reception?

I do get the shed loads of dross. ;-(

I think that is my best option.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

angles to my aerial. I would be very surprised if I get anything from that.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Surely it's up to the user to make the choice, not for paid advisors to censor technical facts. The best form of recycling is to keep what you've got if it still does the job.

Reply to
hugh

Some STBs have a facility to select your region which then selects appropriate frequencies for you. Worked for me as it cut out all the crap I was getting from Wales.

Reply to
hugh

The C/D is no surprise, and may put Mux 3 and 4 out of reach for the moment. The downward point is a bit odd - so close to a Tx on a hill, I would expect a pronounced upward tilt. This may just indicate it has slipped!

If its easy to tilt the aerial up, it might be worth doing. Also note that if the installation is relativity old then it tends to be the top end of the spectrum that gets clobbered first due to moisture ingress in the cables etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

I will have a look at it tomorrow if the rain holds off for a bit. I think the droop is down to it being a cheap aerial with play in the socket between bracket and aerial.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Not if it means a better set gets scrapped.

I had a positively mint 21" 4:3 Panasonic TV. NICAM, two scarts, games input, matching stand and even all the manuals, etc. Would switch to 16:9.

Took three goes to find someone who wanted it on FreeCycle. Had I been short of space, or moving etc, it would have gone to the tip. I'd be most surprised if there were any sets without a SCART still working properly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)