OT: Another Telly Query

My 14" kitchen telly is so old it doesn't have a scart socket so come September it will be just another bit of useless junk without one of those expensive set top boxes that don't rely on a scart connection.

So what to replace it with?

ISTR that there was a thread a while back that discussed the comparative merits of plasma and LCD and what were the more reliable makes but as per usual I can't now find any trace of it.

The current TV sits on a swivel bracket kept in place by its own weight. Would a flat screen model be safe on such a device or do I need to invest in a modern wall mounting bracket and shift the swivel bracket to the ever expanding junk pile as well?

Thanks in anticipation for any useful suggestions of makes, models and suppliers.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

In message , Roger Chapman wrote

Do Plasma TVs have screen sizes as low as 14 inch?

I suspect that unless you are going to put a 40 inch TV in your kitchen then your choice will be limited to LCD..

No - flat screen TVs are bolted to brackets.

Reply to
Alan

If you have a sentimental attachment to the telly, you could use a cheapo Freeview box, at about a tenner and a scart-to-RF modulator at about twenty. Usual caveat of somewhat reduced picture quality ;)

You know you want a new telly though ;)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

All the cheapo FreeView boxes I've seen (limited, admittedly) have RF out. eg, Ken's Goodmans box is =A324.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

RF-out from the current cheapo STBs tends to be just a loop out of the RF-in, they don't have an internal modulator to send the decoded digital programme to a non-scart TV.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The Icecrypt T5000 has RF modulator and is 18 quid at Amazon.

Reply to
airsmoothed

if you and your telly are lucky to be old enough, the government assistance scheme will provide an STB box with RF output for free (AIUI).

luggsie.

Reply to
therustyone

There are set top boxes that include a modulator... there are also discrete modulators that will convert scart to RF, so while its not as straight forward, there is nothing actually stopping continued use of it.

Reply to
John Rumm

I suppose a modern flatscreen jobbie would sit on one of those but it would bo a bit... odd. I've just replaced our kitchen TV with a flatscreen and used on of these:

(or

- at £12.40 delivered, really not worth messing about; and I'm very pleased with it - very sturdy, and goes flat against the wall when required, or pulls out and faces any direction if you need it to. Can't imagine having the TV sat on a CRT platform instead!

David

Reply to
Lobster

cant cope with the idea of watching TV in the kitchen as well, but these flip down devices look cool.

Alan

Reply to
Alan (BigAl)

You can get FreeView boxes with an RF output - rather like early VCRs. For not much money.

However, most things are 16:9 aspect ratio so you'll have to put up with a distorted picture on an old set.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So my 30-line Nipkow disk telly won't work very well then, I assume?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

If you have a spare VCR with a scart socket, you can feed through its modulator (the tape mechanism doesn't have to work). But the setup will obviously look bulky and ugly.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran%proemail.co.uk

Even the cheapest/nastiest STB I've seen allows you to configure the TV as 4:3, so it will crop the picture, rather than stretch it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote

A Freeview box with it's own modulator is a rare beast these days, and usually not at the cheap end of the range.

Reply to
Alan

As I said a distorted picture. Some of it missing. Or squashed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I believe not. There was a mention of a cheap one on one of the TV groups recently. I don't remember what it was as it's of little interest to me. Small CRT sets with SCART sockets come up for free just about every day on the local FreeCycle group - as do ones of just about every size - so if I were short of cash I'd go down that route, and get a more modern set capable of displaying a FreeView picture in the correct aspect ratio.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OK, I thought you meant the usual stretchyvision, beloved of people who bought newfangled 16:9 TVs and couldn't bear to have black pillars down the side ... less common nowadays of course.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks. I tried that with an old set top box and an even older VCR but I couldn't even get the menu to appear on the screen. So it looks like an LCD TV for me, but what make and where is the best buy?

Reply to
Roger Chapman

It depends. If you must have the very latest HD and 3D etc you'll be looking at different makes from a more basic set.

Older models now superceeded often come up at bargain prices on CPC etc.

Also, what size to you want? Smaller ones tend to be less common.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)