Our telly Finished?

Hi. Sorry to bother you with this. Our tv screen just reduced itself to vertical line in the centre. The sound is ok. Its a 9 year old Goodmans model.

is it kaput?

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

The vertical field transistor has gone Kaput! or the feed to the transistor(resistor) has gone open circuit. :-(

A trip to the TV repairman is evident, unless its still under guarentee.

Reply to
ben

ben wrote: [snip]

lol, 9 years that a hell of a guarentee.

Reply to
ben

I guessed it was the vertical something ..Vertical Hold is the only term I know. The VFT. Is it expensive to replace/fix?

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

Dunno where you are but somewhere between £25/35 will be in order. Personally i'd op for a new set and scrap the other because goodmans(bush) are not worth a light and I've yet to come across a tv repairman who will touch them.

Reply to
ben

This box has been behaving badly for a while. We have freeview through a Philips DTR 1500 Freeview box. But for the past few months, while the BBC chanels are perfect, the ITV1/2/3,C4, C5 chanels are unwatchable..like a pause button is held down.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

Reminds me of the day the previous set upped and died....it was about the

60th minute of the England - Germany match at Euro 96. In the history of man there has never been a little white dot that was stared at so incredulously .....then malevolently......then .....suspiciously.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

Or even line scan, rather than field scan...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

You see that white dot on a grey background? That's your floodlit football match, that is!

Reply to
Paul Herber

:) Well it was probably a better view than some were getting that were in the cheap seats at wembley that day.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

Thats more logical than the frame, but if the line o/p had gone there would be no EHT and nothing at all on the screen ??

Reply to
Rusty

In a 9 year old set, that maybe inside an IC (horizontal one even more likely so), and some of these IC's have quite short life as current products, which can make getting replacements

9 years later very difficult.

I had the horizontal output fail on my Hitachi. A google search for the chip just turned up loads of other people trying to find it too, with no success. I then delved in deeper and found the chip wasn't getting any power for its output stage, due to a low value series resistor having gone open circuit. I used the IC datasheet to guess what the value might have been (too burned to read from the original one), and replaced it. It's been going for about another 5 years so far.

Find an old independant TV repair shop, and you might find a technician who is prepared to do fault finding, rather than one of the national repair outfits which is unlikely to do anything unless they can simply change a whole module (circuit board).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yup - we had a similar crisis with our freeview thingy . All bbc stuff ok - all itv stuff duff. I invested in a cheap (£10) external plug in booster which sorted it.

Pete

Peter Stockdale

Thanks, Pete.

Reply to
Arthur

Do a Google search on the model number, it may be a common fault. Sounds like a poor connection/ broken horizontal component to me, as you appear to have EHT ie, a white line. Most parts are available for Goodmans TVs IME.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

So it's beyond the line O/P transistor. It could be something simple like a dry joint, e.g. on the scan coil connector. This is one of those cases where the ancient tradition of a thump on the cabinet might fix it :-), or if that fails, an honest repair shop may be able to fix it without any component replacements.

Chris Chris

Reply to
chris_doran