OT: another moan about customer service - the AA this time

AA renewal time, having been a "member" (AKA "customer") for 30+ years. Renewal cost £238 ... methinks that's a little high so rings them up and has a friendly chat ... reduced to £144 because I've been with them for so long. Me: "why couldn't you automatically offer me the best rate as a reward?" AA: "we couldn't do that because you might have called us out a lot, you have to call"

Sigh!

Reply to
unknown

Only 8 weeks to my AA renewal. I'll do the same as you.

But £238? What did that cover you for?

Reply to
ARW

Sigh indeed. Same happened to me. I stayed with them because, unless things have changed, their roadside assistance is pretty impressive.

Reply to
stuart noble

Personally we use Autoaid

which at £38 for two of us, including "relay" and home start, with two cars you can't really quibble over. It's basically an insurance-based scheme, so you pay for any service you get at the time by credit card, and they reimburse you afterwards.

I've been a member for about 10 years (which makes me think how much I've saved on not being AA/RAC), and only had occasion to use them once, last year, and they were fine - you phone a central number and a bloke with a low-loader comes and takes you home. Just not with the pretty AA/RAC livery etc.

Reply to
Lobster

AFAICS the trick is never to renew, just rotate around the companies to take advantage of new customer deals etc. Personally I really don't think there's much to choose between AA and RAC in terms of service (don't know about Green Flag etc). I recently did this for my daughter

- she swapped from AA to RAC on an online new punter deal for about 40% lower premium IIRC.

The other trick to work in at the same time (not possible if you stay with the same company) is go via a cashback website - roadside recovery is a particularly good deal. Eg, for no downside at all, if you buy a £151 policy, Quidco.com will bung you £75/£85 (= AA/RAC), or less for cheaper policies.

So all in all it makes switching recovery companies a complete no brainer AFAICS.

(Anyone who's not a quidco member and wants to join might like to do so via my referal link, to give me £2.50 :) Or not.

Lobster

When I asked, a tow you home that I could negotiate for 60 quid from a private firm.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

vans have breakdown cover but I also drive other cars that have no breakdown cover (or have a breakdown cover that would not cover me)

Reply to
ARW

Always carry an apprentice who is covered. Being a passenger is (usually) sufficient. And don't breakdown between Grimsby and home.

And to tie in another thread, try to work out the VAT rate used for AA/RAC subs. Certainly used to be a very odd rate based on proportion deemed to be insurance vs membership.

Reply to
polygonum

Is the correct name Great Grimsby?

Reply to
ARW

RAC is a *lot* less than that for the full monty for two people, two cars. We get the renewal and then pay with Tesco vouchers.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Roadside recovery 66.71 Home start 62.15 Relay 63.97 Wife 45.56

... cue jokes about 45.56 for a wife

Reply to
unknown

Home start has been free for me for a few years as a 'long term' customer..= and I only have the Roadside Recovery option

Reply to
sintv

Is Relay now called National recovery?

I can see a discount stomping into view.

Reply to
ARW

Its called inertia marketing.

Tempt someone with really cheap rates for the first year and they sign up.

Hit them for a steep premium for the 2nd year. Most customers don't bother shopping around after 1 year so they pay up.

For the record I've had AA breakdown cover for 5 years now... Every time I get a renewal notice, I cancel.

I then go onto AA's website and sign up as a new member. Every year so far, My "new member rate" has *always" been less than half the cost of renewal had I "remained" a member.

Only downside is I get a totally new membership number every year.

My in-laws have a card that says "Member since 1970" whereas my card says "Member since (current year minus 1).....

Reply to
Stephen H

AA covers the member(s) not the car(s). So if you are passenger in some =

one elses car you can still call 'em out. Donno if you get all the benefits of your membership but I can't see why you shouldn't.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sounds familiar.

Stuck with the AA because they are the only ones with decent Europe cover. When I see things like "recover to a garage within 15km" and realise we are going to places where there are _no_ garages within that range...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Home start has been free for me for a few years as a 'long term' customer..and I only have the Roadside Recovery option

+1
Reply to
brass monkey

So does RAC if you want - they do both "Personal" and "Vehicle" cover; your choice. (ISTR RAC used to be vehicle-based only though.)

Reply to
Lobster

Erm.. So they can look up if you called them out a lot if you ring but not otherwise? What kind of operation are they running? Obviously a very lazy one.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

My expensive renewal came with added "Gold" status, as a reward for long membership. I phoned and managed to get it reduced to new member rates, but retained the "Gold" perks, though not all are that useful for me.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon