OT - Amazon Prime

Clicking through the usual route for free delivery on Amazon I suddenly realise that I had been lured into signing up to Amazon Prime.

Don't know how it happened, but there seems no way to cancel it. So I am on a free trial and I've already clicked the box to say that I don't want to go from the free trial to the full service.

As I am inside, I can't check the outside door again (if you see what I mean) so I don't know how much was Amazon trickery and how much was simple operator error.

Anyway, looks like I am up for some fast and free deliveries over the Christmas period. Which is good because I've already received a wireless keyboard without the wireless USB receiver (udders...bulls..) and had to return it.

Good news is that I get free pick up for the return. Looks as though the replacement (from another supplier) could arrive on Sunday.

Anyone else seen an increase in pressure to join AP?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Yes. I got a "credit card" imploring me to do a Prime trial today. Seems ever more difficult to avoid making that accidental click.

If I really care about time, I get things through work which already has Prime.

Or use the "in the same house" and use my partner's Prime trial that she "accidentally" clicked just like you. But that only has a couple of weeks to go. Hmmm stinky rats.

Reply to
polygonum

Has anyone else noticed that Prime-eligible products not only require paying the annual fee, but are also frequently more expensive than some other vendors? No wonder they can slosh out trials all over the place.

Reply to
polygonum

I buy quite a lot of kit from Amazon (64 orders not including Kindle books so far this year) and have had Prime for around 12 months. I find it useful for stuff that I want in a hurry but always compare prices before placing an order for anything over 10 ukp. Given that I got Prime when it was 40 ukp it has certainly been worth it for the saving in delivery costs alone. The cost has now gone up to 70 ukp but I think it will still be beneficial but the saving is likely to be somewhat marginal.

Reply to
rbel

I used Primne for about three years, until they jacked up the fee by about 60% (and threw in some useless - to me - video streaming).

I stopped - glad actually - because it's saved some compulsive unnecessary purchases! More to the point, I discovered that things *are* now often cheaper elsewhere. Carriage might take a day or two longer but often doesn't.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes - I've seen that - if you lob the product into Google Shopping, it quite often turns up at a good (not ebay) seller charging less than Amazon...

Reply to
Tim Watts

About this time last year I signed up for the free trial to do the Christmas shopping... Then I forgot to cancel it in time. B-( Was only £40 then though. I must log in and cancel once I've done this years Christmas shopping, second thoughts login to find out when I get lumbered for the £70 or what ever it is now... The streaming movies is of no intrest to me and I doubt I've ordered anything like enough to "save" £40 on next day delivery charges over the normal free delivery.

It probably will via DPD.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Same with me. They have put some wording on what looks like a separate button but it is just an extension to the free trial.

I have already ended it at the end of the free trial.

If you don't want next day you can select a longer time and they pay you a pound so you may as well get some cash from them.

Reply to
dennis

Not a real pound, so I hear, but some sort of credit...

Reply to
polygonum

It was trickery.

I found myself signed up a few weeks ago so I rang them to say I didn't want it and hadn't requested it. It took a few goes to get them to confirm *they* had enrolled *me*. They saw it as some sort of kindness.

Exactly what I do. And that includes the carriage cost, if any..!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sometimes there is a note next to the buy now button that says other vendors are cheaper than prime. So even on amazon you can get it cheaper sometimes.

Reply to
dennis

They just want your money to play with, its been going on for some time. Don't they run their streaming tv service only under this name now as well? In my day, Prime was a dog food. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I managed to do the same last week - realised, went back and clicked on the ordinary delivery. Bit later got the e-mail re. Prime. Had to wait in all day for the delivery - no time tracking and the driver had been to a house 200m away earlier in the day!

BTW, if Amazon will deliver to POs or some other stores, it's often less inconvenient to pick up small items. Asda in Northampton is only 5 min. walk from the pub!

Reply to
PeterC

That is true. But often the same vendor is cheaper still if you buy direct! I've done that on a number of occasions...found that on Amazon and then gone to the vendor's own website.

Reply to
Bob Eager

True. They have to pay for their Amazon listing/checkout somehow.

Possibly even more beneficial if you are buying several items from one supplier where the P&P might be negotiable - or some allow "click and collect" which could be worth using if local enough.

Reply to
polygonum

I went to my Account area to try and cancel the trial, and there is a Manage Prime Membership option in Settings.

I could cancel at the end of the free trial (which I did) and it now says that my Prime membership will end on the 27th December.

So I assume that you can cancel now but keep benefits until the renewal date as you paid up front for the year.

Possibly better to do it now instead of forgetting in the pleasurable blur of the holiday season.

I don't want a membership because

(a) I don't stream video.

(b) I have not so far felt the need to pay for quick delivery especially when there is a SuperSaver option.

(c) I tend to only buy from Amazon where the product is supplied or fulfilled by Amazon because they have so far been very good with returns, and the Market Place is a morass of dubious suppliers who all share the same reviews for any given product which makes the reviews useless.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Just to add a big UP for DPD - they let you track your delivery van and give you a one hour slot.

However they have slipped slightly - I have two deliveries scheduled at slightly different times from the same van - deliveries 17 and 19. Wonder where 18 is?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I tried to use that option to have an item delivered to the local co-op, turned out it's no longer free delivery if I choose that option, so it can take its chances finding me or a neighbour at home ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've done it the other way around - found a product on the manufacturer's own web site, then discovered it was cheaper to buy it through Amazon.

Reply to
Nightjar