trying to id new weed invading back yard

Weed invading banks in back of house. This one crowding out vinca minor. About yard long, budding, stickers around leaves. Pulls easily with long thin root. Put through Google images and it says wood and picture of bank comes back as grass.
https://i.imgur.com/bb03NHG.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Jfi4J7l.jpg
Yes Frank we have the same weeds here in SF Bay Area, if I remember right it seeds, dies off and comes back. It easily breaks off in segments, it's called a sticky plant we hate it a lot.
On 5/30/2017 8:08 AM, mike hubbard wrote:

Thanks for the look. Must be nation wide as I'm in Delaware. I've had Japanese stilt grass also invade my back yard and I think it is similar in putting out a lot of seeds that grow anytime. Guy at nursery says pulling stilt grass just exposes open ground to more seeds and only solution is pre emergent with several applications.
Been trying to tame these banks for years and have to contend with deer that even eat ivy in the winter.
On Sun, 28 May 2017 20:03:13 -0400

Just a WAG, try looking at Bedstraw:
https://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=GALIU
https://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=GAAP2#
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stickywilly
I'm not sure which variety, if any but it looks similar...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
On 5/30/2017 9:58 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:

Thanks, it is definitely in that family. No dermatitis from pulling it but wife will have to be careful.
On 5/28/2017 8:03 PM, Frank wrote:

That second picture is really scary. I have a bit of this weed which appears every now and then but your infestation looks like something out to conquer the world. When it shows up on the edge of my lawn I find that spraying with "Bayer Advanced 704140 All-in-One Lawn Weed and Crabgrass Killer", to cite their own name for it, knocks it down pretty well. You couldn't do that on your vinca, of course, without killing it too.
On 5/30/2017 12:34 PM, John McGaw wrote:

Pre emergent may be best answer. Going to have to check on spray if I can. Japanese stilt grass has taken over much of back and banks too but this stuff is new in the last couple of years and is now taking over.
Neighbors on sides and back just let back go or infrequently mow. We live on a hillside and many backyards are left to nature. The wife does not like to do this and is particularly concerned about upper bank.
On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 5:03:18 PM UTC-7, Frank wrote:

Collect the seeds. You can make ersatz coffee from them. They have caffeine.
Also, the stalks and the leaves are edible, preferably cooked.
Al
On 5/28/2017 8:03 PM, Frank wrote:

I just noticed that some of this horrible stuff has sprouted in a couple of oversized pots/planters that I have planted with gloriosa lilies. How the seeds got there I don't know. Wind?
On 6/19/2017 3:27 PM, John McGaw wrote:

I'm letting it go this year as growth appears over but it is messy. Next year maybe mid March I intend to spray the banks with pre-emergent and take care of it and Japanese stilt grass in the banks. I've managed to keep it out of the front lawn with pre-emergent. Not sure about the weed but works for the stilt grass. You pull these weeds and prolific seeds get into the fresh soil and sprout any time. I don't want to use pre-emergent year round and even if I did, at the bottom of the banks where I have lawn neighbors do nothing but cut or let grow wild.

I think Leon Fisk hit the nail on the thumb; it's catchweed bedstraw. It rolls up in a wad on a rake, and, if you can pick it up before the seeds ripen, next year will much nicer 8-)
The roots are surprisingly small and easily lifted if they're in loose material.. Leaf litter mulch helps a great deal.
hth,
bob prohaska

On 6/19/2017 8:47 PM, bob prohaska wrote:

As pointed out it is only one problem and I figure I can take care of it and the stilt grass all at one time.
Covering banks has been a problem since we bought house as not only are weeds a problem but deer eat common ground cover.
I used to do a lot of weeding on these banks but now in late 70's its just too much to be tied down to do. I would abandon back yard as do most of my neighbors on our very hilly lots but wife likes to keep it the way we had it when kids were here and could play on it.
we have similar weeds here in SF Bay Area, in the event that I recollect right it seeds, vanishes and returns. It effectively severs in sections, it's known as a sticky plant we loathe it a great deal.
--
Dean Jones

On 6/24/2017 2:16 AM, Dean Jones wrote:

Going to attack it with spray pre-emergent next year and just ordered Weed Impede from this outfit:
https://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/
None of the stores carry any liquid pre-emergent around here.
Shopped Amazon but they charge shipping or try to tie you into getting Prime account. Above offers free shipping on everything.
As I pointed out in thread, infected banks are in back of house, down hill and basically unseen by us and neighbors. I don't know how this weed sneaked in but noted this time of year that Japanese stilt grass is all over the place along unattended road sides.
On 6/24/2017 8:10 AM, Frank wrote:

Amazon automatically includes free shipping on orders over $25. It seems that every time I make an order it climbs over that level pretty quickly (even though I do have Prime).
On 6/24/2017 10:52 AM, John McGaw wrote:

I buy from Amazon and can order with a click but do not have Prime as I don't buy that much and am not interested in their book and TV offerings. I could have gotten free shipping had I signed up for what looks like a Prime trial. A couple of years ago, during Christmas season, I did take the trial which when over would charge my credit card for Prime if I did not cancel it. Took a lot of work to cancel as they appear to obfuscated not to make cancelling easy. Will not put up with that again.
Other retailers are getting competitive with Amazon and offering free shipping for the same cost item.

What appears hard for some people is dead simple easy for others. Apparently.
Did the trial about a year ago. They offered some product to Prime customers only. Warned by Amazon multiple times that the trial was ending and I would be charged and got simple easy to click on links in email to terminate the trial without charges.
So far, Amazon has not offered any more free Prime trials but then I don't want Prime.
Can't imagine what this "lot of work" was. I have never had to call Amazon for anything. The last thing they want is for a human to call them up. Just read their emails, click the links they provide.
I had my calendar manager set up to warn me that I was near the end of the trial period. Didn't need it.
--
Dan Espen

Maybe Frank was confused with canceling a paid AOL account. Those are hard to cancel!
The Haggler column in the NY Times has just ended. The columnist wrote in his goodbye that "Amazon is one of the few companies I almost never heard complaints about -- which is why its recent purchase of Whole Foods doesn’t worry me."