OT - new weed

Posted as OT but r.gardens got no response. So maybe help here.

Weed invading banks in back of house. This one crowding out vinca minor. About yard long, budding, stickers around leaves. Pulls easily with long thin root. Put through Google images and it says wood and picture of bank comes back as grass.

Frank

i saw your post there but have no id for it, just that it seems simlar to a weed we see here too, but i always pull any that shows up since we don't really need any more invasive weed problems. :)

unfortunately i'm horrible at plant id unless i have studied the plant in question enough for it to stick in my noodle.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Thanks for the look. I think it was you that identified Japanese stilt grass for me a few years ago.

My wife wants to know what it is but I don't think that would help as only solution may be to pull it. Like the stilt grass it looks like an annual and may respond to pre emergent next year.

Reply to
Frank

Frank wrote: ...

not too likely... :) one of the geniuses here did that.

you will certainly want to get it chopped and raked up before it drops seeds if you can as that will help prevent it spreading. i'm having to do that now with some grasses before they drop seeds and i have a much worse problem next season.

sow thistle and the other purple flowering globe thistle are a pest here for me along with a few other plants and all grasses i would happily get rid of, but we still have some bits of lawn that get mowed. they actually create more work for me having to weed them out if i could get rid of all the lawn, but i'm not to that point yet here (i'd probably have to be the owner instead of just helping out :) ). ah well, i can dream right?...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Frank wrote: ...

p.s. we have thyme we use as a ground cover. there are a few different kinds, but they seem to do well at helping keep other weeds down. they do need to be weeded, but i'd rather weed than mow any time. i'm hoping to start taking starts and spreading them around the edges of the grassy areas so they can take over. i just need to somehow get Mum to mow a little higher.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Deer are a big problem. They eat things like ivy, crown vetch and hostas. Unfortunately they do not eat these weeds. Lot of my neighbors have abandoned their back yards, very hilly lots, and let nature take over but my wife wants to keep it tame.

Reply to
Frank

r.gardens gave this:

Definitely in that family.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

Frank wrote: ...

we have deer, rabbits, raccoons, and woodchucks aplenty. one reason we keep an 8ft fence around the veggie garden patches (which only keep the deer out, it doesn't keep the rest out). we never even bother trying to grow sweet corn because the racoonians tend to get it.

the deer don't seem to go after the thyme at all (at least i've not seen any signs of them pawing at it or chewing on it).

once in a while we grab a few extra ground cover plants from the greenhouse to see if they'll survive our soils/conditions/critters.

last season i put in some Sandwort which is now flowering and i'm hoping it will survive where i've got it started. as usual it will take a few years to know how it really does.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Sounds to me you would never have to go to the butcher with all that meat running around. I have recipes for nearly all of those critters.

Lonely George, wife due back home tomorrow evening, even the dog misses her.

Reply to
George Shirley

George Shirley wrote: ...

if you were here to hunt and clean them i'd try them. not much into hunting or cleaning critters myself.

re-reading a good book can help the time go by. cooking something complicated can be another way to go.

when i have extra time i should be getting some old papers sorted through and shred the junk. as you can see, it rarely happens. :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I check out from five to ten library books every other week Bird. Big sister taught me to read and write when I was barely five and got hooked on scifi as a young teen. Still at it a lot of years later. Plus Harris Cty, Texas has a a library system that is outstanding.

Our Lady is going to be home again tomorrow afternoon, the dog and I will do a happy dance when she's here. I even cleaned everything up today, wasn't very dirty anyway. One old man and an old dog, don't make a mess except we both shed hair.

Reply to
George Shirley