prime scam

The bastards just signed me up for prime for the third time...bastards....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Stop giving them your f****ng money then!

Reply to
R D S

You seem to have this d-i-y newsgroup confused with Twatter?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Pay more attention when using the site. The big obvious buttons to use to progress an order also tend to sign you up to Prime. Look for the the much smaller, just text (no "button" graphic) that doesn't...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

+1, they all play that game to some extent.

Actually I don't think Prime is bad value. I used to keep buying extra stuff to try to make the free delivery. And I just watched "The Post", which is a free download on Prime. A pretty good summary of the Pentagon Papers story, nice portrayals of McNamarra, Bradlee, and Graham. And good to see some real hot metal type setting and printing machines.

Reply to
newshound

Jim has a history of whining about anything and everything. He never accepts responsibility for his errors.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Especially as it seems he has made the same one three times!

Reply to
John Rumm

No he has an axe to grind by he cannot get his grindstones on Amazon. grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Now because the size of the button is not indicated to a blind user maybe I get it actually clearer than others, but as I say, it always says if you sign up and in the most cases i tend to let it run for a couple of months then cancel it, ticking all the whining boxes about video and music services as they gradually try to reduce the cost, but if I really want any of the perks I can get them. When I get a huge inheritance I'll sign up. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes its all a bit like loyalty cards. If they want you to buy from them and them alone they offer a paid service that is only cheaper if you do that. Since i tend to only buy here and there, then its not a good deal for me. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Actually very recently they tried a new version of it where they "gave" you a free trial upgrade to Prime with no option to avoid it at all. (at least not if you wanted to buy the stuff you had just selected)

It unwound again when the thing I ordered turned out not to be in stock or ever likely to be so again so next day delivery just didn't happen. I double checked that the free trial of prime had also been cancelled.

Most times they just make the most obvious button the "Prime" one. Eventually I expect "normal delivery" to be a single pixel dot.

Reply to
Martin Brown

In a similar vein I ordered a free razor (just pay postage...) and a pack of heads. I know, should have known better but it was advertised as part of the benefits I get for professional fees that I pay.

Razor and heads arrived. Some time later more heads arrived and some shave gel. Wondered if some glitch had occurred. Them more came, smelled a rat and it turned out i'd 'signed up' for a monthly package.

I'm sure behaviour like this can't be legal.

Reply to
R D S

er.. guilty. Now waiting to see if I get the refund after 30 days!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Seems you are in some good (well, at least plentiful) company:

"28% of people we surveyed have inadvertently been enrolled with Amazon Prime"

Robin

Yes, I was caught by that a few days ago. I use Amazon quite a lot, but I've studiously avoided Prime until now, when in a moment of inattention I must have clicked on the wrong button. I shall investigate how to cancel it ASAP.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I signed up... but then again I was intending to.

They use a user interface design technique called "dark patterns" - its designed to lead you thorough the path *they* would rather you follow...

You see much the same on many sites when you get the popup relating to the EU cookie directive or GDPR disclaimers. Its all very quick and easy to click through giving consent to whatever, but takes more clicks, and more concentration to opt out. Also, agree and they won't ask again. disagree, and they will ask again in a week etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

It happened to me on 11/6/2019 - I am certain there was no option not to accept their generous free offer if I wanted to place my order. It went to a new screen saying words to the effect of "you have been selected for a free months trial of Amazon prime". I went round the loop twice emptying the basket and trying again to be sure.

Order status went

11/6 11:05 Acknowledged 12/6 15:06 Shipped 12/6 20:15 Refund processed
Reply to
Martin Brown

I do but only when it actually does. Say £6 off when you spend £40 or more and the total is £38.67, add £1.50 of polos and £4.50 doesn't leave my wallet when it otherwise would. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, I know you do.

However, 'two wrongs' etc and at least most are marked OT and are aren't always just a rant.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Not that likely, even with some competition.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m