OT - 4x4 automatic car.

Reply to
sweetheart

My niece has a Subaru, and the spares prices are horrendous. It's no paragon of reliability either - unlike the reputation of Jap cars.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
sweetheart

Don't know. I personally don't like 'DSG' type transmissions. One of their worst features is trying to creep with them - the very thing a TC auto does so well. So I'd guess using one off road might prove too much of a strain on the clutch(s). But I'm only guessing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

He may not but I can Here is your original comment Mr. Firth

Reply to
sweetheart

My feeling is this is only because no maker has spent the money developing an auto specifically for good off road performance. They're usually just bought by the Chelsea tractor brigade. But there's no reason why you couldn't engineer the TC locking clutch to work in the low gears. And have a 1st gear as low as the manual.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ignore them.. everyone is a more capable driver than everyone else.. even the ones that have had crashes.. and the ones that need speed trap alert systems because they can't see bright yellow cameras.. or the ones that need speed trap alert systems to tell them that the road is hazardous.. etc.

Reply to
dennis

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 07:26:17 -0800, harry boggled us with:

From the very same page :

The 4x4 Climbing edition, introduced in December 2004, etc

and

The 4x4 Cross edition, similar to the Climbing... etc became available in January 2006

Reply to
Mike P

Another question since you brought this up.

Instead of comparing manual and automatic is anyone willing to compare 4x4 automatic performance with that of a 2WD instead? Compare like with like if you will. Remember for me a manual is not an option.

Would it be worthwhile my having the option of a 4WD automatic as opposed to my current 2WD automatic?

Reply to
sweetheart

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 14:00:40 +0000, sweetheart boggled us with:

Learning to drive in snow would be a better, cheaper option. Plenty of people round here got stuck last year.

I didn't. I had a shonky old BMW 5-series with an automatic gearbox. No traction control. No ABS.

Reply to
Mike P

Because they think they are better. In reality they never drive in bad conditions so don't know anyway. I have only been stuck in snow once in 30 years and do not drive a 4x4.

The car I got stuck was an automatic (well no clutch but no torque convertor) and you just couldn't rock it like you can a manual car with a clutch. I ended up using the mats under the drive wheels to get out.

Around here it doesn't matter if you get stuck, some fool in a BMW will have got stuck in front of you anyway and you just end up in a queue. I recommend getting decent tyres on the car you have, get a set of chains for real emergencies, stay at home in weather like we have in Scotland.

Reply to
dennis

so set it in a fixed gear.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have an auto freelander, I would recommend it.

Big enough for 5, small enough for tescos.

Will handle mud and snow.

will do 33 mpg.

limits are ground clearance and typically road tyres.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Our freelander was 13k IIRC witht 50k on the clock. 3 yrs old.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Does that include Astra drivers?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

But I didnt get stuck as such either. I came 50 miles home in snow where many failed but I wouldnt say that makes me brilliant or so bad I need lessons.

I got stuck half way up a steep hill on sheet ice because a 4x4 wouldnt stop on the way down and forced me to stop instead and I couldnt get the grip to get out after that. But I would still like a 4x4 as a second car - or rather for my husband as his car.

Reply to
sweetheart

depends what you mean. freelander is medium sized and reasonably economic. (33mpg) .Disco considering its area, is pretty good as well. I'd say 28mpg in auto mode.

VERY suitable for short trips. On or off road. Not the car to use n a long trip unless its all you have for fuel economy.fine otherwise.

I still think the very best is the Defender off road. But the toyota land cruiser, disco and freelander are very very good indeed.

Range rover is too expenaive for what it is.

Thee rest of them - subarus, and suzukis, are cheap and tacky IMHO.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 19:40:25 +0000, sweetheart boggled us with:

I think you'd find the difference in running costs pretty shocking TBH.

My mum runs a Suzuki Jimny, 1300cc as her car. Yes, it's good in snow. It's pretty horrible for just about every other purpose. Oh yeah, despite it's 1.3 engine, it's no more economical than my 2.0 *turbo* petrol car. It does around 27-30mpg. It's slow, it's s**te, it's noisy, it's uncomfortable. The vitara she had before was a bit more refined, just just as thirsty.

Unless you really, really , really, really *want* a 4x4, you should really consider just getting a spare set of snow tyres on cheap steel wheels - you can pick a set up at the scrappy for next to nothing, and just swap them over at the start of winter.

I've lived up North where it's snowed a lot. I've lived down south where it's snowed a lot. I've never had a reason to have a 4x4.

Reply to
Mike P

You can do that with any automatic quite easily. You just move the gear shift down. Maybe some people need to take tests for an automatic transmission too? I know people who use their left foot to control the brake and right for the accelerator. I know manual drivers who seem to think an automatic doesn't have any gears at all ( most seem to be here).

My car can be limited to first and second gear or be put in drive as has every car I have ever driven. I drove home through the snow with the gear in low. No different to anyone else I suppose.

I am still looking for someone who can compare 4WD with 2 WD automatics as opposed to manuals for snow. Since most have made it clear that 4WD manuals are not any better than 2WD manuals in snow either.

Further, why do some posters think that comparing their experience in the

1960's is the same as driving an automatic now? It would be like my comparing driving a 1930's Austin 8 with a modern sports car. You call yourselves experts boys?
Reply to
sweetheart

Thanks - a lot of people who seem to know like the Freelander. I have it high on the list.

Reply to
sweetheart