OT - 4x4 automatic car.

Please do not get sniffy. I drive an automatic car. I do not have a manual licence ( OH does b ut I cant be reliant on him!) . I am not a confident driver although I am SAFE, that was why I got an automatic in the first place. I travel 100 miles a day to work and back without incident, so there.
Now, I want to get a 4x4 car. I don't mind if it is second hand ( I will go to a dealer) or new. I have a automatic Clio currently and my PH has a little used ( about 500 miles in three years!) Scudo van. I was thinking to change the Scudo for a 4x4 - possibly keeping my 2 year old Clio ( although I might have to change his van for an older 4x4 and even a manual depending on what I can get).
Thats the scenario. Now, what sort of 4x4 is good - OK? I don't need a big one or that fancy, just reliable. I had been looking at a Suzuki Jimny. The problem is I have been to several dealers fora NEW ( brand new) car and found them very sniffy when I mentioned wanting an automatic. I have looked on the web sites of many manufacturers but they don't state which vehicles they will do as an automatic option.
I have found this before , so its not new to me but is a problem and I am tired and don't have time to sort through it and take the flack. My old Renault dealership when were helpful has been taken over by a big firm who are sniffy about anyone who mentions automatics! I could do with some advice. I don't need to be patronized please, I have had that from men in the motor trade. ( No , this is not my inheritance money but I do need a 4x4 to keep travelling 400 miles a month this winter to sort out the house I have inherited. OH van is 2004 and could do with changing too so a 4x4 could be a better option).
Thanks for any help in selecting a suitable vehicle. Smallish, economic and reliable are the criteria - not big and blousy and "boys toy". I don't care about eco friendly. I need a car to get from A - B and is useable in all weathers.
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 28, 9:34 am, "sweetheart" <hotmail.com> wrote:

x-posted to uk.rec.driving - ask the experts !
Add pictures here
✖
On 28/11/2010 10:07, Jethro wrote:

Subaru seem to have traditional autos with a torque convertor, and the Forester or Impreza estate would be not B&B&BT
Add pictures here
✖
sweetheart wrote:

I know nothing about 4x4 cars so can't answer your question but, having driven automatics for the last 25 years, I don't understand what problem you're having in getting an auto. You say the dealers/salesmen are "sniffy" about autos - just tell them in no uncertain terms that that is what you want, end of.
When I passed my test at 17 back in 1975 I thought auto's were wussy and I never, ever, wanted one - until I drove one a few years later. Automatic gearboxes are definitely one of mankind's better inventions and I would never go back to a manual transmission now.
Add pictures here
✖
Pete Zahut wrote:

there is no doubt that manual is more fuel efficient and generally better for smooth fast driving, but the wear and tear on the left foot and the left arm in traffic..
As I get older and my reflexes are not what they were, the auto is more and more useful.
Really, only 10% of the population could be said to drive a manual better than an automatic would,and I am not sure I count in that group any more.
Add pictures here
✖
sweetheart <hotmail.com> wrote:

Firstly, uk.d-i-y is not the usual place to ask this sort of question. The idea of Usenet is that there are a number of newsgroups and the title gives some clue to the sort of post that is on topic. You may get better answers or a better range of answers from uk.rec.cars.misc or uk.rec.driving, although having said that many people post there and here.
You also haven't given a budget or a preference for fuel type which makes recommending a particular vehicle somewhat difficult.
Your post gives the impression that you think that a 4x4 will work some magic and allow you to drive through conditions that will defeat other cars or that a 4x4 will somehow be "safer" in these conditions. Neither statement is necessarily true and in last year's snow I passed many stranded 4x4s. If you're going to get the best out of a 4x4 you need to get some training in addition to having a driving licence, particularly if you have never driven a 4x4 before. Also an automatic 4x4 is markedly inferior in coping with poor road conditions than a manual car.
Have you given a thought to the fact that many automatic 4x4 vehicles actually have multiple gear levers? For example I have two 4x4s at present, a Jeep and a Ford. The Jeep makes use of a second gear lever to change between 4x4 High ratio and 4x4 Low ratio. The Ford has a selector switch for rear wheel drive only, 4x4 high, 4x4 low. Other 4x4s also have other controls such as differential locks. If you're not confident or able to drive a manual, is a 4x4 with its plethora of controls going to be right for you? Only you can answer these questions and I'd recommend that before you spend cash on a 4x4 you actually get experience of driving one.
As to which one, again you have to decide. Do you want an off-road 4x4 (Land Rover/Jeep in appearance) or would you be happy with a 4x4 saloon car?
For someone who has no experience of using a 4x4 I'd recommend a Subaru Forester. These are essentially car-like, available with automatic gearboxes and are well built. You could also consider a Subaru Impreza, which is even more car like. The Forester is more "utility vehicle" and was designed around the needs of people who have horses or small farms and who need a tough vehicle with 4x4. Good low mileage Foresters and Imprezas start around £5k.
The other thing you need to think about is tyres. The tyres fitted to all cars and 4x4s in the UK are inadequate for winter use in snow. If you're going to be driving in snow you need to change the tyres on the vehicle to ones suitable for snow. These may be referred to as "Mud and Snow" or "Winter" although you can also use "All Terrain (AT)" tyres.
Winter tyres for a Forester will cost you about £100-130 each.
You'd also be well advised to pack a snow shovel, water, blankets/sleeping bags, HiVis vests or an insulated workman's fluorescent jacket, a torch and batteries and possibly some source of food that will last in the car. As mentioned earlier, I passed many 4x4s stranded in the snow last year and I heard that many drivers were in their cars for one to two days.
A Suzuki Jimny IMO isn't right for what you want, it's a car that be rolled fairly easily hence not a good first 4x4, and it would crucify anyone driving several hundred miles a week. If you insist on one of those then there is an automatic version. Check Autotrader to see if one is in a garage near you. Note that you have this week a choice of 10 auto Jimnys in the UK and 76 auto Foresters, so the Jimny auto is a rare (difficult to find) vehicle.
Add pictures here
✖

This is precisely what I mean about sniffy. The idea that because I drive an automatic I haven't enough experience or I am inferior in some way.
I didn't state type of fuel because it doesn't matter. I didn't state budget because it isn't that important - remember I am changing a 2 litre Scudo - expensive all round for this.
As for driving in snow. I did 100 miles from Exeter to Cornwall in blizzards last January , so I have experience of taking an automatic | ( Clio) over dartmoor and Bodmin Moor in snow. I also know about tyres, thanks.
I just thought a 4x4 would give me more options. I have a friend who has a Jeep which is automatic and I didn't see a mass of levers in his car thanks. Either way, please do not think that because I drive an automatic I cannot drive. My licence limits me, not my skills.
But thanks for the information about the Jimny. Scratch that. Again though , I like driving smaller vehicles although I would prefer one that will give me some flexibility ( not a saloon - I have a car .... my Clio, which I know experts are also sinify about but remember my Clio passed loads of equally stranded drivers of its " betters" on the way over Haldon Hill last year.)
Just looking for a decent , middle of the range vehicle . Not big and blously and as I said not a " boys toy". I am not looking for a " Top Gear" answer. I don't need a Jeremy Clarkson. I just want advice on a common all garden decent and reliable car ( 4x4 still remains a favourite as it is a common feature where I live - rural Cornwall , although no one type predominates).
I prefer not to be sleeping out Thanks. I want to get home. I judge my chances of that when I leave in a morning usually, although right now weather forecasts are next to useless frankly. I cant even work out if I should go sick Tuesday to avoid getting trapped in Exeter.
I asked in DIY and did put Off topic. I have usually found people in DIY to be more practical and user friendly. Thanks.
Add pictures here
✖
"sweetheart" <hotmail.com> wrote in message

Interestingly the What Car site suggests the Suzuki Jimny as a good all rounder , quite different to here. So what am I to believe?
Add pictures here
✖
sweetheart <hotmail.com> wrote:

Buy the car you want to buy, live with the consequences of your choice. It's your money and will be your car. Personally I'd go for the Forester it's an infinitely better vehicle than the Jimny. Here's a clue, which of the two will you see most often on farms?
Add pictures here
✖

I have bever seen a Forester on a farm her. The old Land Rover ( usually so old they are held together with string) seems popular. The Range Rover seems to be the choice of the Fair ( as in those who go round with the merry go rounds). The Suzuki seems a popular choice in the area where I live hence I looked at it. Not one particular type though.
So, going on what I see on farms.... yeah ,
Add pictures here
✖
sweetheart <hotmail.com> wrote:

Grow a thicker skin.
By definition someone who cannot pass a test to drive a manual car is not as capable as someone who can. As to automatics, I have three cars, two automatics and one semi-auto. But I took and passed the manual test and drive manual cars on a regular basis.

Then I suggest you didn't look properly. There is a *huge* second gear lever to the left of the automatic gear selector.
Add pictures here
✖

How many accidejnts have you had with your manual? I have driven for 30 years with no troubles at all. I drive 100 miles a day, and on rural roads, so not exactly without experience of difficult roads. However, you are right, I am limited. I have a slight dyspraxia which limits my ability to co ordinate my left foot for the clutch. Thats the issue. Not a " disability" officially, so not motorbility challenged, just safer in an automatic.
Probably safer than you my friend.
Add pictures here
✖
"sweetheart" <hotmail.com> wrote in message

How do you define " as capable"? I tried for SIX years to co ordinate the clutch in a manual car and failed. I bought an automatic and took the test the next day and passed it first time. My driving skills match your sany day in terms of my " capability" to steer, watch the road, anticipate etc. I do not see that being good with the clutch makes you "more capable" as a driver - just better with a clutch. Thats not driving,
Add pictures here
✖
On 2010-11-28, sweetheart <hotmail.com> wrote:

Like Steve said, "Grow a thicker skin."
--
Today is Boomtime, the 40th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3176
"Always mount a scratch monkey."
sweetheart <hotmail.com> wrote:

I don't have a manual, see above. But the answer is "none".

I generally find that people who prattle on that they are "safe" are anything but, generally they are (a) slow and (b) lucky and usually (c) don't drive very far. You may be the sole exception, but on usenet you can make all the claims you want about how good a driver you are and they don't amount to a hll of beans.
You seem to have a real chip on your shoulder BTW, is this why you declare that car salesmen are "sniffy"?
Add pictures here
✖

Prolly married to denise
--
geoff

Add pictures here
✖

Equally true of those who prattle on that a driver of a manual car is " more capanle " than one who drives an automatic I am sure. There is far more to driving than changing gear using a clutch. Hills of beans indeed.
Add pictures here
✖
On 2010-11-28, sweetheart <hotmail.com> wrote:

That isn't what he said.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 40th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3176
"Always mount a scratch monkey."
✖

That was exactly what was said to me and precisely what I answered orginally.
Add pictures here
✖

Ignore the idiots who think they are better than you because they have a licence that includes manual gearboxes. In fact automatics mean the driver has more time to concentrate on the important aspects of driving. Be aware that 4WD does not mean you will be invincible in bad weather which is a trap many fall into. In the last two days I have encountered three 4WD vehicles stuck min snow because the drivers had no idea of how to drive on an icy road. Once you have your chosen vehicle go and get some professional tuition at an off road centre to learn how to get the best out of your vehicle. With the mileage you do choose a diesel if possible because the savings are significant. Good luck with your quest.
Peter Crosland
Add pictures here
✖