Optical smoke detector function?

The sensor in my optical smoke detector seems to have no vent to let the smoke in! But it does work - I tested it with actual smoke.

The reason I have it open is the f****ng thing keeps sounding for no reason. It's perfectly clean inside, the room is not dusty, and I've tried a few brand new batteries.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I had one that went off every time it detected steam, boiling spuds, having a shower, drying socks on the radiator etc. It went in the bin, pieces of s**te like this kill more people than they save because everyone either just disconnects them from the mains or takes the battery out, it's just bad design

Reply to
Phil L

I've only had a steam problem when I use the steam cleaner which makes a LOT of steam.

How would you suggest a piece of electronics would tell the difference?

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I've got to admit I have no idea how they work, nor have I any wish to find out, but the cheapo battery operated ones from the pound shop meet all the safety criteria, but only detect smoke, which is what they are supposed to do, and I'm not overly bothered about the slim possibility of being poached to death.

Reply to
Phil L

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 15:18:31 +0100, Phil L wr= ote:

You can get them for a pound?

Damnit I've been paying =A33 on ebay.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott