Isn't it true that combustion is necessary to produce CO?
A sump-system with battery backup was installed 24 hours ago. Today
the CO monitor sounded. Fire Dept. found the highest reading (256
ppm) in the room with the sump, but don't have a clue. They advised
to open the windows to drop levels, then close them to see if they
That's where we stand. Any clues? Can a sump system produce CO?
There are a number of possibilities.
While CO is normally produced by incomplete combustion where there is
insufficient oxygen. As I recall it is lighter than air so it would not
tend to collect in a basement. You should check any combustion device close
by or not so close. They would be the most likely source.
CO can also be produced by "slow combustion" That is rotting. Organic
material that is slowly rotting can produce CO as well as other things.
This can form pockets under the earth and that may be the source.
I would not rule out this organic source. BTW while it is rare that it
is found in quantity, it has caused deaths, and in a few cases many. It is
so rare and because it goes away, it is often missed when it does occur. It
could be coming in through the sump.
Keep that CO monitor in service and don't ignore it.
Just got off the horn with the installer who said that the batteries
are overcharging and producing H2 and fooling the sensor, just as you
and others have said.
Scheduled to repair Sep. 1. Now if only the electricity doesn't go
out or there is enough charge in the battery to work if it does go
out. They drilled all sorts of extra weep holes which are going to
allow extra rainwater into the ditch.
Thanks to all who have responded. You guys are amazin'.
Yes, CO is lighter than air, but only very slightly so: 1.25 grams/liter for
CO versus 1.29 for air.
The atomic mass of carbon is 12, and the atomic mass of oxygen is 16 -- thus
the molecular mass of CO is 28, same as nitrogen N2.
N2 is about 79% of the atmosphere, O2 slightly less than 21%, and the bulk of
the tiny fraction remaining is argon.
Ck battery voltage, and charger voltage get specs from manufacturer ,
you will kill the battery if voltage is kept up, disconect charger. If
you can return the system look into Basepump, or Zoeller Water main
powered pumps if you have City water, they outperform battery pumps.
When CO binds with your blood's hemoglobin it prevents O(2) from
binding to it, starving you of oxygen. It's very good at it.
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 19:16:01 GMT, firstname.lastname@example.org (BroJack) wrote:
Concentrations of H2 or H2S can set off and give false CO readings on
a electronic and/or portable CO detector. (Most of them can't tell
"CO in Food Warehouse"
"The warehouse personal pointed out that we were making the CO
measurement in an office located within the battery charging room".
"Lead-acid batteries generate hydrogen gas while charging. Using a
cross-sensitivity table supplied by the CO sensor manufacturer showed
that 80ppm on the CO sensor means that there was approximately 200ppm
of hydrogen present, which is well below its lower explosive limit
(LEL) of 4%(40,000ppm)."
I.E. Your new pump system may be overcharging the battery.
Let it settle down after the initial charge.
If it keeps on setting off the CO detector.. You might want to
put the charging circuit on a simple AC timer($10). Charging the
battery for couple hours each day should keep it topped off.
Can you recommend a H2 detector for the home? The only ones I could
find on the web had relay features to hook up with an exhaust system.
I just want a home monitor that sounds an alarm. Don't trust the
waterproofing company when they say that the charger has been fixed.
On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 22:06:48 GMT, email@example.com (Bro Jack)
Hmmm. you need it on the cheap...
Sounds like your existing CO detector is doing a fine job
detecting the H2 offgasing. I suspect it went off @500ppm or less.
Problem is that any device with a readout is going to cost in
excess of $100.. I.E. Something used for mine/factor safety,,,
A sensor with a current loop output is still going to cost you..
My sensor, 3 rooms away from the batteries, triggered at 75. The Fire
Dept's sensor in the room where the batteries are located read 256
which, using the formula you provided, translates to 640 ppm H2.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.