Are electric oil-filled radiator heaters a carbon monoxide risk?

I've been experiencing some symptoms of low level carbon monoxide exposure. I have an 10 year old oil-filled radiator heater under my computer desk. I sit at this desk eight hours a day. I've read that electric oil-filled heaters aren't a carbon monoxide risk, but I wonder if this is always true?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Reply to
alisonrafe

Nope.

Reply to
CBHVAC

To generate carbon monoxide something has to burn. Unless the heater has shorted out and caught on fire you are safe.

The heater will not make carbon monoxide.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Only if the oil gets ignited and it burns.

Which the unit is designed to prevent. Also,you might notice if it did ignite the oil. Carbon monoxide is formed by incomplete combustion.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

How do you mean that? :)

mm

Ok..hows this...

No aitn happening check for spending too much time in front of a monitor and under those neat little long tubes that give off light...:)

Reply to
CBHVAC

Nope,

Sounds like my old neighbour. He has carbon monoxide detectors all over

the house. House is all electric. Somehow industry convinced him he needed those....

Reply to
Brian

It's not possible. You would see and smell smoke from the burning oil. Start looking at other sources. Check the EPA web site.

Bob

Carbon monoxide is the end result of any unburned fossil fuel like gas, oil, coal, wood. No risk from your electric heater.

Reply to
Mikepier

For you and CBHVAC, one could take "Nope" to be in answer to "I wonder if this is alway's true?", that heaters aren't a CO risk. That was the only question he asked. That's why I asked what he meant. You make clear below that the Nope applies to another question, that actually wasn't asked.

LOL The local newsoccasionally tends to do that too.

mm

Low level carbon monoxide exposure, you have symptoms, get a blood test. Electric heater, well if its on fire leaking oil then it will put out Co. But I think it would be obvious. Learn what produces Co, A bad car exuast, building heat, house heating can output Co. Even cigarettes.

Reply to
m Ransley

And I'll bet those are UL2039 detectors. They won't alarm until the CO levels are life threatening.

Reply to
HeatMan

Here is a web site that might help you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

How about getting a CO detector with a display? Those are supposed to show lower levels.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Still crap...seriously.

Reply to
CBHVAC
  1. see your doctor, it's not an electrical heater problem.
  2. buy a digital carbon monoxide alarm for your daily travels to determine where the problem lies, like at home from an unvented gas or wood or propane heater.
  3. get more info at:
buffalobill

Home digital read out Co detectors for 50$ are not crap, they store peak readings, sure a tech that needs one every day needs a pro unit, but not a home owner. If they were crap First Alert and others would have been shut down due to lawsuits.

Reply to
m Ransley

Hi, How much do you go outside for fresh air. Your heat does not have combustion, how could it have CO problem? If you want to prove it, just turn it off for a day, then you'll know. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

There is no carbon monoxide (CO) associated with any electric heating device. CO is product of incomplete burning of gas, oil, wood, kerosene, and other fuels.

There is absolutely no way you can get carbon monoxide from an oil filled electric heater.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Is there even a vent into the oil tank?

Reply to