What's pros and cons of the space heaters? I need another one

At

I have the 2nd one from the right shown and labelled "heater fan". I bought it 2 years ago. I need something that would warm up quickly and light enough to carry around between bedroom and office room but I kept it by the bed only and never carry it because there is no easy handle to lift. I was going to buy another one if I really liked it but it didn't happen.

I use this one only for *a few minutes* when I get into my bed till the sheets warmed up (I live in a place where it doesn't snow and I like it cold when I sleep. I like the weight of layers of blankets that I put on top of my cotton quilt bedspread - I cn't use synthetic fiber - and one is wool blanket) .

I don't know why the website said it is quiet. It is not quiet because of the fan. To get benefit, I have to keep it really close to me - I put it on the night stand next to me - and so I only fall asleep after I shut it off dur to noise. The other thing I don't like is the toggle button that has to complete the cycle (of differnt prsent temperature settings) if I want to switch from low power (750 or 800 Watt) to high power (1500 Watt). The way I am using it in bedroom, it's good enough.

This and the ceramic (heave for me to move around) versions are forced air according to the description and I don't like the feel of forced air to use this byt he computer.

I want to get a *portable* heater that will heat up the whole computer desk area, i.e no forced air on me and no noise. I have executive type setting of computer setup because I also read at the desk. I need it quiet since my power ful PC is gives enough noise. I don't mind the glowing light since I'll be using it during while I am awake. What I want is to get maximum heat out of the wattage used

BTW, the description for the "Radiant" heaters said it uses glowing elements that emit infrared light. Like the sun, these heaters will directly warm the object or person in front of it. Radiant heaters also include a MaxFlow=99 fan to push heated air out to warm the room. Standard features include a thermostat, Auto Safety Shut-Off and tip-over protection for added safety.

Since radiant heaters warm the objects, i.e. me, that would be against what I want. And it has a fan that push the air to warm the room and hence noise.

So what choice do I have left? Oil-filled? Convection? Which warm would be cheaper to run? Oil-foilled is heavy to move, right? I don't plan on moving it on regular basis but may be convection the best choice for me?

Does oil-filled take 1/2 hours to warm up? That's too long for me since when I sit by the computer, I need to get stated. I do not have a set schedule.

BTW, I do not want any pollution though I will not be using the unit contsantly

Any suggestion which one to get?

Reply to
Sandie

Any comment on the following products?

or

or

Sandie

No, I think you want a radient heater with no fan. Yes,it willwarm you and it will warm the desk and th e heat fom the desk will heat the air and everythinbg will be nice and toasty. Someting like this may work well for you.

They all cost the same to operate. Electric h eat is 100% effiencet and all the energy used it turned into heat. Delivery methods may change, the 1500 watts is 1500 watts, not matter the source. Yes, it willtake some time for an oil heater to warm up. I don't know the time, bt since there is more mass it will take longer to heat, but then will take longer to cool down, still giveing that 100% efficiency.

IMO, radiant is the way to go for your situation. Quiet, fast, easy to move.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Edwin Pawlowski wrote: [..]

Okay, radiant. But I want the one that sits on the floor under the desk cus the part of my boady that feels cold most is below the knees even with wearing fleece pants and jackets. Cashmere and wool socks helps the feet but even with the long one, the calf area is miserable. I have been looking for leg warmer (only natural fiber like wool or cashmere) since new years but all sold out at Nordstrom and no more coming in. Beside, it will probably slide down like my long socks htat doesn't stay put.

Any god one for the radiant one (no fan) that sits upright?

Reply to
Sandie

I use the oil filled kind and think they are the best. They aren't all that heavy and besides are on wheels. They are safe, quiet, and efficient. You could have two if you don't wan't to move them.

Another idea is to you use a foot warmer under your desk. Here is one example:

The foot warmer uses very little energy or space and delivers the heat directly to your body. It is perfectly quiet, no fan. You could have one for under the desk, maybe on a timer so you don't forget to turn it off. Then you could have another oil-filled one by the bed. You could turn is on as you are preparing for bed or you could put it on a timer so that it would come on a certain amount of time before you retire. You could put it close to the bed where you could easily reach over and turn it off.

Reply to
Lawrence

personally i love my kerosene heater. i use it in the rec room when i'm watching tv. it's the perfect thing for taking out the chill ,since the room is in the basement. i never leave it unattended,and 5 gallons lasts forever when i only warm up the room and the furnce will keep up after that. i shunned kerosene for years,thinking that they would smell bad, but i'm really glad i gave it a shot.

my mom has on of the oil filled ones,and they work pretty good,too.

tom&kel

Under the desk adds restrictions with size, but try here. The first is made for just that application

Edwin Pawlowski

Edwin Pawlowski wrote: [..]

Thank you.

Reply to
Sandie

Lawrence wrote: [..]

The ones I have seen at Sear were heavy for me.

Remmeber that I want something that heats up quick since I don't have a set scedule. And I am planning to move into an apartment next year.

I didn't know about this kind of foot warmer. But one would have to keep the foot within the parameter of the mat but I might get this if it is light and use it when siiting in the living room, the only place where I don't move much once I sit and watch TV. But I don't watch TV cosnistently either and am trying to cut down. A radiant heater both as some times I get off ther chair and organize things.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have an exact specific time of entering bed. May be that will change some day.

Does these oil-filled give *any* smell? Any at all? I have nasal condition - smell triggers sinus headache) and so it is critical w/o they release any smell or not. I am inquiring this info for knowledge.

Reply to
Sandie

They do not give off any smell. the mineral oil and the heating element are totally enclosed. On some heaters, which have an exposed element, you can experience a smell which is dust on the element.

Reply to
Lawrence