Using a standard radiator as an electric towel radiator

Hi, I want to use a standard radiator with an electric immersion heater within. Here are the links for what I want to use

?id=22805&ts=74650Questions!?Will the heater threads fit in the radiator threads? Are they different for towel radiators?

Where can I get a Blanking plug or cap for the other end of the radiator, or will I have to make one? (i'd rather not, I'm looking for a neat solution)

what kind of oil? Multigrade? LOL!

Thanks for reading Mark

Reply to
mark

Several points

1: why? won't be as convenient or look as nice as a proper towel radiator.

2: I'm pretty sure the heater won't fit. I expect the threads would be fine but on a towel rail the element screws in and goes straight along the bottom rail. On a pressed steel radiator (single or double) there is a crank between the valve fitting and the bottom water gallery.

3: cheapest engine or other mineral oil would be OK though (screwfix again).
Reply to
Newshound
  1. Cost! And it will be tucked away under a worktop, so no point in putting a pretty chrome job in when it wont be seen.

  1. I will check that with the heaters and radiators at B&Q, thanks.

  2. I figured that was the case.

Last point, if I manage to jump through the hoops, do you know of a blanking cap for the other end?

Reply to
mark

?id=22805&ts=74650>> Questions!?

And a brief, but, I hope, sincere, prayer that the expansion of the radiator will exactly match the expansion of its contents as the element heats up.

I'm unconvinced by screwfix's line "plumbed on non-plumbed towel radiators". Do commercial oil-filled heaters have an air space for expansion?

The pairing of heater and radiator you've mentioned do indeed have the same power rating, but that means that to dissipate the power the radiator will be at around 70 degrees C. The corollary to this is that the running cost will be around 3p/hr, or say three quid a week, £150 a year.

Reply to
Autolycus
  1. I would not have filled the radiator completely. The working pressure of the radiator is 10 Bar. I do not believe that a 400w heater immersed in oil with an air allowance for expansion would manage to create that pressure. I would also have left the bleed slightly open for a while to confirm this. I was also considering thermostat control to prevent excessive temperature, but the radiator should have been able to dissipate enough power to obviate the need for it anyway.

  1. Cost not an issue, warmth is!

All a hypothetical argument, as the 90 degree turn into the radiator scuppers the idea. Are all radiators made like this?

I'm going to use this instead, as it has a thermostat and is designed for the job.

all for your help and advice

Reply to
naylormark

Got one in B&Q for the rad in my car. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)