Electric Bathroom Towel radiator

One bedroom cottage is electrically heated no central heating.

Sized the bathroom and need a 500 watts electric towel radiator to keep it at 21C when it is 0C outside.

So when it is say 5C to 10C outside how do you control the temperature as I assume you cannot have a thermostat on the towel radiator in the bathroom. Wet hands on electrical controls etc.

Can you get a remote thermostatic sensor in the bathroom controlled from a box in the hall outside.

For safety I assume it must go through an RCD.

Reply to
That Bloke

As a test.

100W heater (a light bulb) should heat it to 5.2C above ambient. Does it do this? Is there any need to have the thermostat adjustable?
Reply to
Ian Stirling

A towel rail doesn't heat a room when it's got towels on it. By all means install one to help dry the towels, but don't expect it to heat the room -- the towels thermally insulate it.

Before I had central heating, I used a wall mounted downflow fan heater in the bathroom. This worked very well -- it was

2kW, automatically switching down to 1kW when room gets to something like 24C. Actually, I have retained it even though the house now has central heating and the boiler's in the bathroom -- it's nice to be able to stand under it as a sort of whole body drier when you step out of the bath or shower. It's a Dimplex one. They still make such heaters, and I think you can even get them with run-on timers nowadays.

A 2kW heater only needs to be operated when someone's in the bathroom.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

This is for a friends house

We have 1.8m high towel radiators in both our bathrooms heated from the central heating. They both have towels on and are the only source of heat in each bathroom. They have no problem heating our bathrooms.

In this case it would be circa 1,400 mm by 600 mm

Reply to
That Bloke

Is the bathroom the size of a cupboard?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Plowman (News)"

Yes, when you get the bath, wc and washhand basin installed, it is a bit tight. It is 1.7 m wide and about 2.2 m long but the cupboard in the next door bedroom steals sum of that.

Dimplex do a remote temperature controller that will do the trick.

Reply to
That Bloke

So, where does the energy go, then?

:o)

Reply to
Huge

I think most of them have a thermostat. If insulated with big fluffy towels, 500W goes a long way towards having an unexpectedly toasty bathroom.

Reply to
Ian Stirling