Standard towel radiator threads?

Is there a standard thread type for towel radiators? I'm putting together a BES order, including several of item number 18249, and I need to get appropriate valves and fittings. There's nothing mentioned in the listing; is there a standard thread that's just assumed?

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

It's a pretty safe bet that they'll be 1/2" BSP - like any other radiator.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I would concur - of the several I have fitted, they have all taken normal tails.

Reply to
John Rumm

OK, cheers. I've never fitted a radiator before.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Sorry, that sounded rather dismissive - I am grateful for the help :-)

Am I right in thinking that the P in BSP stands for Parallel, and to achieve a seal the fitting should be tapered? I ask because I'm ganging three rails together and only the ends will have standard radiator valves. In between I'll be using male BSP x 15mm compression elbows and short lengths of chromed tube, and BES sell both tapered and parallel elbows.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

no offence taken ;-)

No, it stands for "Pipe" - as in British Standard Pipe Thread. You may see reference to BSP P and BSP T for parallel and taper versions though.

Yup, rad tails are tapered and seal on the threads - wind copious turns of PTFE tape round them first and then tighten with the appropriate implement[1]

you will need a tapered male BSP to compression then.

[1] Some have flats on the side to allow a small adjustable spanner to turn them. Others (the traditional type with larger mating couplings), have a centre that takes a large Allen style key (you can buy special keys for the purpose)
Reply to
John Rumm

OK. At some point at school I got told it stood for "British Steam Pipe"

- I guess that's entirely spurious?

OK. Since I want the elbow to stop pointing in a particular direction, presumably I can achieve this by slightly varying the amount of PTFE?

Great - added to the order.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

I think so... having said that - they may have used iron pipe for steam as well.

Yup. In fact assuming you have enough tape on there - it will leave a far bit of movement after you have got it tight enough to seal - so you should be able to align it anyway you want[1]. The alternative would be to use a combination of a straight fitting and an elbow - then you can screw the straight fitting home til tight, and then set the elbow where you need it.

[1] The tricky bit is judging it just right when you want it not only sealed but also tight enough to not rotate at all once in final position

- say when fitting a tap to a wall plate - any you need the tap upright at the point it screws "home". That does not sound like it should be a problem in your application though.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes - but as John R says, there is a bit of lea-way - i.e. it will seal before it's too tight to turn any more.

I would strongly recommend the use of PTFE tape intended for gas threads. This is a bit thicker than the normal stuff, and a lot less likely to get shredded by the threads. I replaced all my radiator valves last year using gas PTFE tape, and it was so easy.

Reply to
Roger Mills