Lighting Sensor Madness........

Hello All

I installed a bathroom sensor switch in my wetroom sometime ago, the sensor is sepcifically for bathrooms and is installed in Zone 2. The sensor is located behind a tile and switches 6 LV recessed downlights (20 Watt bulbs)

At the moment I am having some problems with it in that when I switch on certain other switches: landing, bedroom, bathroom the lights in the wetroom come on. This doesn't happen all of the time and doesn't happen at all switches but its getting annoying. I have been in touch with the manafacturer and they state that there is a power spike being caused somewhere which operates the sensor controller. They suggested that this is normally caused by a bad contact or loose live/neutral connection. I have just replaced all my upstairs switches and checked for loose connections everywhere and cannot find anything wrong. The bathroom sensor controller is supplied by the power out from one of my bedroom ceiling roses and is on the normal lighting circuit (loop system)

The manafacturer have suggested that I may be able to fit an inline protector which will surpress mains borne transient spikes but they are looking into this some more.

My question is can I just simply re-wire the supply to the lights to come from a FCU which has been spurred from the upstairs ring main. This FCU currently supports a shower pump. The upstairs ring main is lightly loaded.

This sounds to me a much easier option as the FCU is near by.

Thoughts, advice

TIA

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

The manufacturer is probably correct. The switching transients will be all over your wiring and using a different circuit may well not be a full cure. Let them specify a suppressor type, then fit it into the existing wiring as close to the switch as possible. This IME is your best bet.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Sounds like your sensor is unfit for its purpose. If the mfr admits its triggerd by spikes, even they are effectively admitting its unfit for the job.

NT

Reply to
meow2222