Smoke detector help

We are trying to find a smoke detector for the upstairs that wont go off from steam or humidity caused by my family members who take hot showers. After hot showers when they open the bathroom to hall door to leave, ther exiting steam/humidity trips the smoke detector. Have tried multiple brands but all seems to do it. Ideas?

Todd

Reply to
Todd W. Roat

Unfortunately your going to run head long into a brick wall with this one. The photo/ionic models are going to fog, then alarm. Anything else is going to cost a fortune. You do not mention if this is a powered system, or stand alone battery. That will make a big difference in what you can replace it with. So in the short term. Teach the family about windows or the bath fan. Failing that lower the water temp. Move the detector to another acceptable location. There is more than one place to put detectors. Now days the code requires detectors in every bedroom, the cooking area(s) and one between the cooking area and the bedrooms. That is how mine are installed. Because of the entry framing in my bedroom I have two.

Reply to
SQLit

If there is steam buildup, then add more ventilation to the bathroom. This improvement will help your smoke detector, reduce mold/mildew, and prevent water damage.

Reply to
Phisherman