Old TVs

I've seen a few damaged screens in my time but not one *fixed* by someone throwing a computer at it. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Nope. I have little idea of what they look like. My ancient soldering iron is like a poker, even though I've filed the tip down. I did managed to fix and solder back a micro switch in a car key fob with it though.

They did take away a lawn mower that was 99% plastic a few years ago.

We use 5.1 speakers or something. I watch very little telly.

It looked like several tins of paint had been chucked at the screen.

I don't do dope.

The last thing I need on the bedroom wall is a huge telly. The Incredible Sleeping Dog would not like it. Wife has a telly in the bedroom and tells me that the Freeview channels are okay and do not need updating. This saves me RTFM. I have never watched this telly.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

who cares? .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Well that was good going, considering.

I wouldn't have said as much as that. The motor would be worth a few quid (as a 'scrap motor', I got £5 for one out of garden shredder the other day) and you also have the blade and mount etc. You could get scrap money for the PCB's out of a TV but they aren't very big or very high 'value' (compared with PC motherboards with RAM and CPU etc).

That sounds like impact damage to the LCD itself?

Handy for playing games. ;-)

;-)

It normally nags you when it needs doing (the TV, not the Mrs). ;-)

Menu, setup, re-scan ...

We have a smaller LCD TV in the bedroom but it's used more as a PC monitor when I'm testing / working on PC's.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Normal sound is from a PC speaker system bought for this job, if I want better sound, then the Humax feeds into the Amplifier (called HiFi back in the 1970s).

Reply to
Davey

That brings up awful images of TV game shows from that era. A couple would be wheeled on and the host would ask them a few questions to settle them down, how many Kids, how long they had been married etc. Usually there was a question about what hobbys they had and the cardigan wearing bloke would reply "HIFI" puffing his chest out as if this was on par with sending rockets into orbit. when in reality he had just bought a cheap stereo system in Woolworths and some Val Doonican records.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in news:opml99$334$1 @dont-email.me:

I know what you mean. Full of tiny things that we don't understand as well.

After the Apocolypse - we won't be able to recreate them! May manage a Baird TV

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I had a Samsung TV which died just out of warranty with an obvious PS fault. But oddly, not a cap. With a lack of a schematic, I bought a used PS board off Ebay which got it going again.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But why should you have to? It's rather like saying take video from it and feed to a decent monitor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can make speakers with zero external magnetic field. But this may cost slightly more than a basic speaker, so not suitable for a TV.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Agreed. having been involved in the industry for some years I've yet to see a modern YV with decent resolution adequate brightness good near black level performance or sound quality.

Reply to
Capitol

I could probably manage to design a z80, given time.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

405 line TRF sets had more bandwidth achievable with staggered tuning set up.
Reply to
Capitol

Yes. I'm retired now, but a few years on location drama shot on video - even after tape days - the person racking the camera stuck with a Grade 1 CRT, despite LCDs being both cheaper and lighter and longer battery life, etc.

I've never seen any domestic LCD set which gives the same detail etc on a face as a decent analogue CRT. Although some of that could well be down to digital transmission too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I had forgotten all about Val Doonican. And you had to remind me that they existed, didn't you? Not in my collection, I assure you!

Reply to
Davey

Even that was better than Max Bygraves. What was it, I'm a blue toothbrush you're a pink toothbrush lol.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Was his phrase not: "That's a good idea SON!"

Reply to
Tim Streater

The sound on the HD channels (to my ears) is noticably better than the SD channels, so bypassing the TV mediocre speakers is a good idea. Especially for things like the Proms concerts. Annoyingly, the Midhurst xmitter only supplies BBC4 in SD, so that the kiddies can have CBBC in HD instead !. Even more annoyingly, CBBC is only broadcast during the day and BBC4 only at night, so why can't they revert to a generic BBC HD channel and then share it.

I use an Amptastic amp and a pair of old phillips 320 PC speakers and it sounds way better to me. I'll get some even better 'hifi' speakers one day.

Reply to
Andrew

When HD transmissions started, all the broadcasters had to revamp their news and panel-show 'furniture' because the better quality of the image revealed the flaws of the old studio furniture that that analogue and SD digital masked out.

Most people stuck with their plasma TV's for that reason - the picture was better.

Ultra HD on a TV or monitor that can resolve 1 billion colours is a revelation compared to a 'normal' LCD tv showing an SD program.

Reply to
Andrew

"I wanna sell you a Tory!"

Reply to