Old TVs

I use a Quad amp and a pair of IMF PM III that I bought in 1974 and recapped last year.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I used to have a large hi-fi speaker against the RHS of a CRT TV. The only interference I noted was when the TV was showing a solid white field when *removing* the speaker lead to colour fringes on the TV. It must have "got used" to having the speaker there.

Reply to
Max Demian

The compression of terrestrial TV and the artefacts created are near criminal.

Motion in a CRT with a very short phosphor persistence is/was far better than any LCD.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Making a Z80 from scratch in silicon might be problematic, even if we did have your non-verified designs.

Reply to
Fredxxx

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:opo4a9$7v4$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

But could you build the components?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Some old "Good Sound" was a bit lacking in treble as I recall.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Well its all a question of how far back you go.

I am assuing maybe silicon transistors avialable.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well there is the rub. Civilisation as it actually is to an engineer is an edifice erected on many varied foundations.

First, you need to build a pole lathe...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The sound on our living room TV is certainly not perfect, but it is acceptable for most things. I did take the trouble to listen to numerous TVs that met our other requirements before choosing it on that basis.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Unless the picture is moving.

Reply to
Capitol

I got out of field-electronics repair because it started to become just that, board swapping.

That's not to say you can't still fix stuff (like diodes and caps) but it's often quicker / easier (for those without soldering facilities and experience etc) to just replace a board.

Next door neighbour was about to throw away a fairly large TFT monitor (he'd already bought a new one) that I found was known to have a weak PSU (the main smoothing cap went and a random cascade of parts then typically followed).

I managed to find an identical PSU new from China and when it arrived, I replaced the cheapo caps with quality ones and it seems to be working fine. ;-)

The 'shame' is so much stuff gets thrown away, often for the sake of a few pence worth of components and not a lot of time (once you know what you are doing etc).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Complete bollocks.

Any decent designer checks the condition of his set and has it touched up (if necessary) before any transmission. And does that by eye - not on camera.

And HD transmissions you see today are nothing like as good as the original test HD transmissions in CRT days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

'Treble' has rather gone out of fashion these days, judging by speech quality on much TV output. Perhaps a reaction to 'digital' sound?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I wasn't that interested when I bought my current Panasonic a couple of years ago, because I've used the main sound system for TV sound since

1970. But a quick audition of those on sale said there wasn't much difference. None had forward facing speakers, so on a hiding to nothing before even starting.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Capitol

Oops! They can't be there's not enough bandwidth.

Reply to
Capitol

Neat! I see what you did there. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

How many would you need?

suggests 8,500.

Reply to
Fredxxx

I don't know whether the model number, "320" is purely coincidental or has some connection but I immediately recognised it as part of the model number for a pair of amplified PC speakers I've been using with all of my desktop PC builds since the turn of the century.

The speakers in question are branded "Target" with the model number "TRG- S320". The quality is a definite cut above the more typical "PC Speaker" setup in that it uses a 4 inch bass/mid driver with a separate tweeter housed in each, relatively substantial (for plastic) reflex cabinet of around 8 litres in volume (32 by 19 by 14 cms - h,d,w).

It does a passingly good enough job as a "HiFi" self amplified stereo speaker setup as to save me feeling any need to utilise a more traditional amplifier/speaker setup, hence its continued use for over a decade and a half.

Aside from the obvious difference of seperate amp and speakers versus active speakers, I wonder of those Philips 320 PC speakers of yours have anything in common with my TRG-S320 speakers?

Reply to
Johnny B Good

I have never listened to the sound our 2012 Panny Vierra might be able to produce. Why bother, I just feed it into the Quad.

Reply to
Tim Streater