Memories - old technology

Remember trying to improve an old TV by adjusting the Convergenece Controls. I recall, my old Murphy had about 20 potentiometers and other ajustements.
On Thursday, 22 June 2017 08:17:08 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:

Probably lots of them conveniently close to tingly high voltage bits.
I remember when all the 2ps we'd saved for the telephone became useless as the telephone got changed to 5ps and 10ps. (This was of course the telephone box down the road -- we didn't have one in the house.)
And being told to put the radio on at 5 to 1 for the 1 o'clock news - it needed time to 'warm up'.
Owain
I have a Rogers Amp on my computer like that. Four ecl 86s need a bit of time to get their acts together.
Brian
--
----- -
snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com writes

10 to 1, otherwise you'd miss the shipping forecast :-)
--
Graeme

Many of our 'radios' (internet, etc.) take just as long to start up. Give me a 'tranny' any day.
--
Chris Green
·

On 22/06/2017 09:46, Chris Green wrote:

Internet and DAB both take an age to get going. The big advantage of the simple AM/FM transistor radio is that it runs a long time on batteries.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

as the advert SHOULD say.... if you love radio don't buy a DAB .......

Another black and white type.
I have DAB in the car. In general, *reception* is far superior to AM or FM in the SE of England.
It's very interesting to ask a DAB hater to tell which recording he is listening to of something simulcast on DAB and FM. Provided you sync them up and match the levels.
I did just that with a chunk of R2 from FM, DAB and FreeView. A panel of 10 'experts' gave almost entirely random results. But I'd guess even they might have heard a difference with AM.
--
*Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject

Y'see there you go again Dave. If you don't love DAB you must hate it, eh!
--
"Please stop telling us what you feel. Please stop telling us what your
intuition is. Your intuitive feelings are of no interest whatsoever,

Good to see you fail to understand posts in pretty plain English again, Tim.
Perhaps you'd give your interpretation of 'if you love radio don't buy a DAB' ?
And not in the Boris style of answering a simple question.
--
*I pretend to work. - they pretend to pay me.

On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 14:47:26 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

Jim's was just an off the cuff remark, he didn't even say what was wrong with DAB in his opinion, perhaps it was power consumption, I mean how long does your DAB portable run for on a PP3?
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

'if you love radio don't buy a DAB ....... ' seems pretty clear to me.
I don't have any portable radios in use in this house. Just one I take with me when staying elsewhere. So small enough to fit in the luggage. But not one which runs from a PP3. Very expensive source of battery power.
--
*Black holes are where God divided by zero *

On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 12:43:53 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I have one of these - which isn't DAB, and costs peanuts to run. I paid less than 50 quid for it, and had the batteries anyway.
https://goo.gl/vB1aMi

A wireless wireless, what ever next ;-)
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 14:56:52 +0100, Graham. wrote:

Well, it has a mains unit stashed in the back if one wants to use it. And a line-in cable. And Bluetooth, with a place to stash the phone.

yes battery consumption is piss awful whereas my Cokoa pn-204 runs for weeks on six AA batteries...
https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images3/360/0712/26/boxed-cokoa-pn-204-vintage-russian_360_1c5fac34d748ae7c01205c7640282e4a.jpg
I have DAB and stand alone internet radios coming out of my ears but I prefer the Russian MW/LW any day.....

not to mention I got two for a pound each brand new and boxed at a Glasgow car boot sale.......complete with the smell of fullers earth ...Mmmmmmm

Explains rather a lot. Nice mellow tone from AM. Who needs anything over 4kHz.
--
*I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe*

just a pity there is so much fitba on mw and cricket on lw ........

Until you go south of Horsham when it it is bubbly mud, as it is in many places away from big towns and a bit hilly.
FM just works.