Memories - old technology

The G6 was my worst nightmare to repair. My favourite set of all time was the Decca Bradford chassis and its derivatives, partially because it was the first colour set I ever owned.

Reply to
Graham.

Explains rather a lot. Nice mellow tone from AM. Who needs anything over

4kHz.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

True - but nothing a few new valves wouldn't sort, normally. But it did have an excellent picture when set up properly.

I kept the G6 going until the early 80s - mainly because the cabinet suited by room. Then gutted the set and fitted a Philips Matchline in the cabinet. Which lasted until decent widescreen became affordable - and the changeover to digital.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Payphone security in the 80s was hopeless. If the internet had existed BT would have had to shut the whole payphone network down.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Well, it has a mains unit stashed in the back if one wants to use it. And a line-in cable. And Bluetooth, with a place to stash the phone.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I packed a lot of those parcels..

Reply to
Bob Eager

82 for different reasons.

I have a 1950s tv, and I still see broadcasting 405 as pointless. A VCR or anything else with baseband output can be hooked to the tuner output easier & quicker than getting a 405 tx. I daresay it's different if you have a wh ole collection of the things.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Then you made the cabinet into a fish tank?

Reply to
dennis

just a pity there is so much fitba on mw and cricket on lw ........

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

5ps and 10ps. (This was of course the telephone box down the road -- we didn't have one in the house.)

I always check my change for non-ferrous 1p and 2p pieces and save them.

Sometimes they come in handy, like making up a couple of non-corrodable washers to hold the toilet cystern to the wall ( the two inside and permanently damp.).

The ferrous ones I cast adrift on the South Downs where ever the detectorists have been skulking. Makes their day.

Reply to
Andrew

525 Millwatts of power for 64 bits of memory.(No, not K, M or G).

Andrew

Until you go south of Horsham when it it is bubbly mud, as it is in many places away from big towns and a bit hilly.

FM just works.

Reply to
Andrew

didn't know that ....thanks

Jim GM4DHJ ...

DAB in the car is a joke in Scotland...you need LW ......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

You jest, I assume?

Drove from SW London to Billingshurst to look at a car. Listened to R4 DAB the whole way - rock solid.

Brought the car, and on collecting it listened to R4 FM on the way back. Continual fluffing for the first half of the journey. Pretty useless.

But as with all such things, you do need a decent aerial. My DAB one is - the FM one on the 'new' car I've no idea. Except that the sound system is a very expensive factory option.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Making FM a joke too? Pity they don't make LW phones for some of Scotland.

FM was never designed for mobile reception. DAB specifically was. Of course with any transmission system you need adequate coverage. And that is easier to achieve with DAB.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I knew that the "copper" coins were changed a couple of decades ago, but I didn't know that the "silver" coins had also been changed.

Reply to
NY

Doesn't it retune all by itself?

Reply to
Tim Streater

FM is a 1930s invention, and is an expanded analogue format. DAB is something entirely different and far higher tech. But the massive technical differences aren't all that determine which works best.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes. RDS. But in hilly country FM can give problems. Even in the SE of England where they call them downs rather than ups. ;-)

It's interesting to drive through London with all the high rise stuff around now. FM can be pretty dreadful. Multi-path reception. DAB makes a virtue out of multi-path.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)