Memories - old technology

Good to see you fail to understand posts in pretty plain English again, Tim.

Perhaps you'd give your interpretation of 'if you love radio don't buy a DAB' ?

And not in the Boris style of answering a simple question.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Showing images extracted from a length of rust-coated plastic tape dragged past a spinning magnetised metal disc tilted at an angle.

Reply to
Halmyre

At a guess you have to wait for it to go through hardware self test and boot the realtime OS. It is only a few tens of seconds on most TVs.

My internet radio is considerably slower and handles much less data.

Reply to
Martin Brown

This was because the 1980s GPO/BT owned all the payphones and knew which li nes were coinbox lines. It was possible to make reverse charge calls to a p ayphone because the operator could ask the person at the payphone to insert money to pay for the call (and on the old Button A/B boxes listen to the s eparate 'dings' for sixpences and shillings).

When private payphones were introduced they were connected to ordinary line s so the operators had to have some means of knowing a payphone was connect ed, hence the 'cuckoo' tone.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Whereas this desktop using very ordinary components is asking for my password in under 7 seconds and is ready to use in 15.

Its bollocks really. It shouldn't take that long to boot a TV.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The truly amazing one was the Sinclair flat screen CRT TV - FTV1

A friend of mine had one. It was impressive if a bit on the small side.

Another won an earlier MTV1 on the very first Krypton Factor Show.

Reply to
Martin Brown

it was so good I just sold one on ebay for a fiver ......tee hee

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Your PC boots from total power-off (ie not resuming from hibernation or sleep) to password and desktop in 15 seconds? I'm impressed. My two PCs (both Win 7) take about 5 mins from power-off state, and that's after checking for unwanted startup processes (msconfig) etc and after running CCLEANER. What OS do you use? And is that with spinning HDD or solid-state?

I tend to leave my desktop PC on 24/7 because I use it as a PVR and for logging info from my weather station, so I only reboot it about one every couple of weeks (eg after MS updates). I tend to leave my laptop on as well (even if I put it to sleep when I'm not using it) because its battery no longer holds any charge so it needs to be booted from cold each time. Of course booting from sleep only works as long as the laptop is plugged into its power supply. For some reason, hibernate (boot from memory image on disk rather than from battery-backed RAM) is greyed out on my laptop.

Reply to
NY

In message , at 09:13:53 on Fri, 23 Jun

2017, The Natural Philosopher remarked:

Have you considered buying a TV with more then five quids worth of computer inside?

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 09:24:43 on Fri, 23 Jun

2017, Martin Brown remarked:

Then there was the Sony Watchman B&W, which I had, and worked well for the ten or fifteen minutes the batteries lasted.

Reply to
Roland Perry

which was way better than running the sinclair off polaroid batteries ......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

yup.

I'm impressed. My two PCs

Linux Mint/SSD

about 3 secs is BIOS followed by the splash screen to see if I want to boot linux. If i hut yes then its about another 4 secs to the login screen, and after that another 7-8 loading up the desktop and so on.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Soon?????

I lived in Grays in Essex. In 1955, the manual Tilbury exchange (which was actually located in Grays!) was being replaced by a new automatic exchange (and Grays got its own exchange for the first time).

There was an exhibition in the main Post Office demonstrating the new STD system we were to have, with phones that you could use to dial up various test numbers in various places in Britain.

Thus, I think, we were probably about the first exchange to have the new STD phone boxes. They continued to accept threepenny bits until around 1964/5, so around 10 years.

Reply to
Terry Casey

If the metal disc was magnetised, the plastic tape would carry the images for long!

Reply to
Terry Casey

The Sony 18 inch from that era also had something similar but they called it a hue control. It also had a shedload of wirewrapping between boards rather than using connectors.

On a Bush 26 inch from the mid 70's you removed the back and a panel could be swung up which had all the setting up adjustments in sequence complete with instructions.

Reply to
The Other Mike

OOPS! ... would NOT carry ...!

Reply to
Terry Casey

Ah, maybe the Hitachi also called it a hue control, which amounts to the same adjustment. I don't remember my friend's parents' TV suffering from what I now know are called Hannover Bars compared with our (fully PAL-compliant) TV, which I'd expect if they didn't use the PAL delay line.

That may be the one I was thinking of when I described that panel with knurled knobs and/or pots that you turned with a screwdriver - Granada may have rented the Bush to customers.

I remember that in the early 80s, my parents stopped renting from Granada and bought their first TV (a Bang & Olufsen) and the sound quality was a lot worse: probably because the audio bandwidth of the sound decoder was wider but the amplifier wasn't similarly improved so sibilance was a problem (as it is to this day with female newsreaders' voices on Radio 4 in FM - the Charlotte Green effect!). The shop where they bought it said they'd had quite a lot of complaints and came out to tweak things - not sure whether they improved the amplifier bandwidth or filtered out the higher audio frequencies from the IF decoder.

When I got my first VCR, which had SCART and phono outputs, I connected the sound to my hifi and realised what I'd been missing by listening through a tiny speaker and poor amplifier in my TV. When I got a later VCR with NICAM, the difference was even more noticeable. I don't think I ever used the TV speaker after that - I always used headphones and my hifi from then on.

Reply to
NY

On XP you used to have to enable hibernate so it could allocate enough space on the HDD for the memory image.

More recent Windows versions talk about "Hybrid sleep" disabling Hibernate.

Reply to
Max Demian

What do you put into it? 4d?

Reply to
Max Demian

I mean the ones where you put the coin in when connected as opposed to the old button A/B type.

Reply to
Max Demian