Old TVs

Less compression.

Reply to
Capitol

For once I suspect you are completely correct.

AIUI the video encoding inb DVB-T abd DVB-S will when it mneets rapidly cahning scenes, engione a generalsied 'big blocks' of the new scene first, so that you get a flash of lower resolution 'pixellated' stuff all over the place. That fills in with finer detail once the scene stabilises.

If the display hardware is overstressed, whilst that new scene may be built up correctly, it may take time to updatre the screen memory.

That tends to lead to pictures of which whole parts are delayed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thing that annoyed me was my new TV didn't have the usual twin phono analogue sound output. Just Toslink. That would be fairy nuff if analogue had disappeared from domestic Hi-Fi too. But it did have a SCART, which I wanted.

Which cost me quite a bit of time etc running in an optical feed to the Hi-Fi and providing a converter box (didn't want even more clutter behind the TV).

FFS - how much extra would a pair of phonos cost, given it has things like a headphone output?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I hate the use of that word for a data signal. As it actually means data reduction. It is gone and can never be recovered. True compression can be expanded again. In theory with zero artifacts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I found the same problem. Also the TV remote does not control the volume.

Reply to
Capitol

Mine has a SCART, but it always sends out the audio from the tuned TV channel, even if a different input is in use. So you could be watching Formula 1 on the PVR, while listening to Jeremy Kyle.

Reply to
Davey

I am struggling to contemplate exactly whats sort of life a person who might do such a thing, lives.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes. Would be nice if the mute worked as well. Even better if you could select it in software.

Luckily, my pre-amp has a remote so I don't have to get out of my chair. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I suspected something like that so didn't even try it. Needed the SCART for the old Toppy and an S-VHS recorder.

I had a Philips set with 3 SCARTS that allowed you to select what they did independently - ie to dub between them. But only one was RGB.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have no idea, as I don't do it. Let us know if you find out.

Reply to
Davey

I can just about understand recording formula 1 but no reason the listen to Jeremy Kyle. I've watched football and even the olympics while listening to a podcast, I find it quite easy to do this as there's little of interest a football com mentator has to say although I like it when a player gives 110% or more. So I can easily work it out for myself i.e who's winning. I tend to listen to the TV when doing stuff on the computer.

Reply to
whisky-dave

You are lucky. I find that if I try to listen to anything speech-based while I'm trying to do a task like watching an unrelated video or typing a document, one or other suffers - usually I find that my brain quickly switches off the words that I am hearing.

It's the same when I'm driving: music is OK, but I quickly lose the thread of anything speech-based (a play, an Audible talking book) and heave to keep going back (if it's a recording) to listen again to the bits I've missed.

I suppose on the multi-tasking scale I'm at single-task end :-)

My wife likes to doodle in boring meetings because it helps her concentrate on what it being said. I tried it and found was concentrating so much on what I was drawing that I missed what was being said in the meeting - so for some people it *helps* whereas for other people it very definitely

*hinders*.

Trying to concentrate on reading a book when there's noise (especially conversations) going on in the background is a definite no-no: in this case my brain does the opposite and what is being said dominates and I lose the thread of what I'm trying to read.

It's always the unwanted background task that seems to dominate over what I want to do, never the other way round :-(

Music is fine - it's only speech that I find either distracts me from what I'm trying to do or else I can't concentrate on if I'm doing anything else.

Reply to
NY

In my Defender I turn up the radio to drown out the rattles

Reply to
bert

I listened to a political interview programme on R4 the other week

the format was quite annoying (for in-car listening at least) with the interviewer's mic balance hard to the left, and interviewee's mic hard to the right.

Reply to
Andy Burns

That's because most cars have the stereo speakers in stupid places - like in the doors.

Don't see why R4 should change perfectly good stereo for those who don't position speakers correctly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

IIRC according the a BBC engineering monograph they did get to 15 kHz but it was BT or rather GPO line allowing! Seems Crystal place was very wideband!..

Indeed;(..

Reply to
tony sayer

Thats what the err, Optimod is designed for;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

I doubt there were many receivers capable of reproducing that 15kHz, though. Much the same as few AM radios ever did justice to the transmitted signal - in the days before it was band limited.

BBC TV Theatre in Shepherd's Bush had off air feeds from a BBC check reciever. (TVC had line feeds) The 405 line BBC 1 sound off air was very noticeably lacking in top compared to the FM BBC2 one. You don't get a better comparison than doing an A/B on a live prog. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Are they any really good CRT's left and is anyone still making them?...

Maybe..

No CRT's..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Well who is to blame for that broken biscuit co?...

Reply to
tony sayer