Old garage re-wire ..

Hi All,

Went round to the Parents today to look at the 'fizzing' light switch in the garage.

I checked over the rest of the wiring and it could all do with a tidy up (at least one length of rubber sheathed cable).

And, a wooden covered fusebox with re-wirable ceramic fuses in the live and neutral (nice if the netural fuse fails and the lot goes live ..?)

So, they have had a new 2.5mm Armoured cable run from a metal switched fused box next to their CU in the house. It terminates on the inside garage wall with another metal switched fuse box.

My intention was to fit a simple mini two way CU near the newish switch in the garage and feed a single 2.5mm radial to possibly 3 double sockets.

The other cct would be for the lights, two 6' flouros in the garage (1 x single and 1 x double) and similar in the workshop bit (6 x 6' tubes in total). There is also a PIR triggered floodlamp overlooking the back access. What cct would that be connected to (power or lights?) please.

As one of the new sockets may be used to feed a lawnmower, should I have a RCD in the mini CU.

Could I remove the metal switch / fuse in the garage and replace it with the new CU (so it does both jobs and would look neater)

I cant remember seeing an RCD on main house CU.

Am I right in thinking youy can get these 'little' garage RCD CU's quite cheaply. As soon as you go up to a 4 way the prices really jump?

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. Would I still be better going for a straight (non RCD) modular CU and using the individual RCD's (forgotten the term) instead of MCB's

Reply to
T i m

Connect the fluos and outside to the 6A circuit.

Definitely, if you use a Clipsal garage unit it has an RCD covering both circuits anyway.

Yes.

I think that's another job.

The Clipsal garage units are £24.99 from screwfix.

>All the best ..

Not really, as you say there is a huge price difference but for what you need it for there isn't really any benefit. It would be handy to fit an emergency light in the garage though if the whole lot is covered by an RCD. ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

tonight! Can't remember the price though .. I'll look again tomorrow and if it's close to +AKM-24.99 I'll get it.

[T] That was my caution .. I don't think there would be an issue with nuisance trips as they don't live in there ;-)

All the best and thanks again for your help and advice .. ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m