Off-Thread replies...

Yeah !! Geometry's for squares.

:-))

Reply to
BigWallop

In message , BigWallop writes

They're septics - you have to make allowances

Reply to
geoff

In message , BigWallop writes

Err ... what's your angle on this?

Reply to
geoff

I prefer this especially number 11.

Reply to
parish

In article , Mike Ring writes

This is becoming the perfect thread - there's even a chance for a grammar pedant to jump in here.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

What's a surge protector? Is it something like flood defences?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Nelson

Here is one of the OP's "relevant replies" on the subject of how to stop water getting in under a garage door...

... doesn't seem very relevant to the topic, does it?

Al Reynolds

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Well fished out Al.

Reply to
Grunff

A surge protector is a bit like the big dam that can be raised at the mouth of the Thames - every so often a big swell (tide) comes along which could flood parts of London, so they raise the dam to hold it back.

Your mains supply provides 240v average (actually probably about 235v average, but let's not get ties down in numbers).

That supply will frequently have spikes and transients coming down it. These spikes can have a lot of power within, and could do real damage to sensitive equipment. You can also have surges where the voltage rises for a perceptible time (usually not very long), say when the electricity company switches over from one generator to another.

Kettles, toasters and other domestic appliances have no problem with these surges. However stuff like cheapo computer equipment might not be so robust.

So you put a surge protector in the mains circuit to snuff out the surges. I don't rate the ones you buy in B&Q which are built into an extension block - I run my PCs on a UPS (uninteruptible power supply) which not only removes the spikes and surges but it protects against brownouts too - where the power disappears momentarily (like when your like suddenly go dim or out for a second).

The UPS is built to deal with the mess sent down by the supply companies.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

"BigWallop wrote

Now you're just being obtuse ;-)

P.

Reply to
Zymurgy

No it keeps suits clean.

-- Malc Wond'ring Aloud

Get me out of my tree to reply

Reply to
Malc

I thought it was to stop SWMBO getting pregnant....

Reply to
John Rumm

I think that is a sine that the thread is wandering off topic ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Agreed, vis my question on scarfing a barge board. I never did get an answer to that point but we had a great discussion about ladder safety and the pros and cons of ladders vs platforms, wonderful.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Surely you mean "at a tangent"

Reply to
Bob Mannix

parish wrote in news:3f20792b$0$45170$65c69314 @mercury.nildram.net:

I'm sorry, but as a fully trained first aider, I cannot dispense any form of drugs. You'll have to ask in another thread :)

Reply to
Danny Monaghan

People do sometimes have some interesting problems, and whilst a few will post a follow up, I find myself often wondering about how someone managed to solve their problem, particularly considering the range of (conflicting) advice that is sometimes given. It would actually be nice to see a few more follow-up posts when projects have been completed.

Reply to
Wanderer

Agreed, I have often wondered the same thing myself. Some people do post followups and I always find that nice, polite and often interesting.

If I manage to survive scarfing my barge board while 5m up on a ladder I shall let you all know ;-)

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

But Peter, you asked your question in such a way that everyone realise you knew what to do and how to make the joints you needed in the board. They only picked up on the fact that you wanted to do it from the top of a ladder. Now That's Dangerous !!!! So you were told off for wanting to use the ladder and not because you couldn't do the job you wanted to do.

Anyway, did you get the job done safely ?

Reply to
BigWallop

(conflicting)

You don't want to do it like that !!!! You need a proper tower scaffolding. See the thread about "Scarfing a barge board".

ROFLMAO !!!!!!!

Reply to
BigWallop