Uk.D-I.Y NORTHERN chapter meeting ?

In message , Steve writes

Well I'm up for it in principal, esp. if it's Leeds :-)

But I'm useless at thinking of places to meet up.

Reply to
chris French

Come on folks, there has to be scope for a meeting up 'ere too....

Say Leeds as a location, venue TBA ?

I'm in.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I've just been painting my fence wondering about a northern chapter. Not sure where the line is drawn but I assume we also include Dundee? Is there a self-build show at Harrogate soon? That would provide a backup reason. You could always take the Amish(*) approach and raise a barn somewhere, haven't got the space myself but it's a sound principle.

Toby. (York)

(*) Excepting power tools and PCs and gadgets and alcohol and stuff.

Reply to
Toby

Some decent Chinese place in Leeds ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Everyone meet at my house, there's something for everyone, plastering, wiring, plasterboarding, tiling, bathroom, kitchen, gasfire, flooring, skirtings, lighting, heating, plumbing, digging, concreting, shuttering, block paving, more plastering, concrete breaking, guttering, ..... ;-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark

IMHO Leeds is way southern by 2 hrs driving. But I'm down there for most of the next fortnight...

But as near as damn it right next door to where I am working. B-) Unfortunately I may well not have news/e-mail access while I'm down there. I did have an user name on that particular companies network but I suspect it has been "aged" as I last logged in in April last year...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Living in Barnsley means Leeds is only a short run up the M1 for me, so count me in. Plenty of good pubs as well, though the Duck and Drake is at the wrong end of town for Maxi's. Anyone know what Norman's chinese restaurant is like? Or any of the other city centre restaurants? Alternatively, there's always the The Fox and Newt on Burley St or (a slightly longer walk mind) the Felon and Firkin or The Library by the uni on Woodhouse Lane.

Whatever the venue, if it's in Leeds and I'm not on holiday then I'll be there.

Cheers Clive

Reply to
Clive Summerfield

Cheeky. ;-)

If the toilet drain ever blocks I'm locking the door and running away, the sink drain outside stinks bad enough when you've an arm down it scooping out sludge. :-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark

So, Leeds, probably Maxi's ? For me and mine best before the 3rd August or after the 10th.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Surely if a meet is organized for uk.d-i-y it ought to be open to anyone who is prepared to travel to it. Obviously it will be dominated by those that are local to the venue, but that's no reason to set some arbitrary restriccctions.

Good on anyone who takes the initiative and organizes a meet, so long as it doesn't interrupt too many DIY projects :-)

-- Phil Addison The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

NOSPAM from address to reply

Reply to
Phil Addison

Count me in too, so long as it's a weekend (I live in Manchester weekdays).

Nick

Reply to
Nick Nelson

Yep, last weekend of October beginning of Nov, got my free tickets this morning.

Jonathan

Reply to
jonathan

Good grief. I thought that you guys up there were made of sterner stuff than that.... Is it the impact of that foamy beer that barmaids have considerable difficulty in pulling? I've noticed that some of them have arms like treetrunks. :-)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I was just about to point out that to us oop 'ere Leeds is doon south! Not that I have anything against Leeds per se.

As for a barn raising, I'd LOVE to replace my concrete sectional garage/workshop with something, drier, warmer and with walls I can hang stuff off easily.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

True I agree, it's just I recognise that some may think us Yorkshiremen are mere amateurs at Northerness. The Midlanders are keeping quiet, also the Falkland Is. branch has been silent as well.

They're all members of part time patio laying gangs. Mind you their legs ain't bad.

Always eaten well at Maxi's. But came home with a black eye after last celebration in Leeds.

Personally long summer evenings are spent mixing, sawing and painting, or visiting. An end of season bash would suit me better.

Reply to
Toby

This Harrogate thing would be good too. Assume its at the conference centre ? We went to the woodworking show and the needle craft show there last November, and there is a nice hotel (

) and restaurant, about 200 yds away.....

Two events now ?

No geographical restrictions of course.

Steve

Reply to