Suggestions please Central Heating system

hi,

i am having a new central heating system put into my 3bed terrace.

I have been told that i will need a 28Kw combi boiler to heat the house sufficiently.

does anyone have any suggestions on what model/make of boiler to use, and whether i should bother with the extra expense of a condensing boiler?

I have had some quotes for £1790 - £4000.

this is for 9 Rads, boiler and all piping (it is a complete system)

is this reasonable?

TIA Bandit

Reply to
crazy_mad_bandit

Sounds like the right size for an old terrace. £1790 sounds dead cheap. Condensing may get you a grant as you are having it done professionally. Try 'Warm Front' or 'Big Green Boiler Scheme' or this link -

they are only available until the fund is used up.

Condensing only adds another ~£300 to the material costs. Worth doing if you'll be there a while, also good to feel you are doing your bit.

Reply to
Toby

Vaillant are good, but a little expensive. Ideal Isar is good and very cheap. You should go for condensing types, but you must remember to bully the installer on two points. Firstly, the flue must be well away from any windows, in excess of the minimums because they do produce a lot of visible steam. Secondly, you must plumb the condensate drain into a proper drain, as it does produce a lot of water. Many installers will play down the amount of steam and (rather corrosive) water produced. They do this so they can spend a lot less time bodging it rather than doing it right.

1790 is too cheap. I bet the pipes would be surface mounted everywhere or your floorboards left like offcuts in a sawmill. Unless this person comes seriously recommended by a friend you trust to know what he is talking about, it is very suspicious.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle