New washing machine time - What sort?

In message , Skipweasel writes

Suburban muff, I thought

Reply to
geoff

Good idea. One plumbed into each combi I assume?

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Dare to be different:

John

A company that refers to the "Isle of White" on their website isn't really one I would trust very far. Even if they did buy Asko of Sweden within the past year.

John

Reply to
John MacLeod

've checked the sources)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I like positive, creative thinking.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Such wit. The new year ahead will be bleak indeed for you.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Oh well, live and learn.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Just thinking; strange how we buy a major item (Car, Washer, TV) etc and then decide that we like the features and will start to promote them., Instead we should know what we need and go and buy the item that has the features we need. Brand names mean so little nowadays as there are so many regulations governing safety and reliability. My overriding "need" was a left hand hinged door. I cant imagine ever deciding I NEED a washer with cast iron counter weights as I have never had a bad experience with concrete ones.

Reply to
John

Wow. Wonder what spares availability is like?

Reply to
Huge

Typical greenie.. never do anything that actually saves energy themselves, just tells everyone else to save.

Reply to
dennis

I think it really depends on usage. If you've got a young family with the machine in use twice a day it might be worth spending more money. If only a couple of adults, a cheaper one might last well enough.

So saying, I'm now on my own, but got a Miele. Nice and quiet when operating.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You are destined for a bad life.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

whenever we've bought a new something, there never seems to be quite the money to spend to justify a miele, but TBH, I can't say I've been unhappy with any of the cheaper things we've bought.

An Indesit WM bought cos it was sale display stock and we needed a WM machine ASAP, it did at least 12 years before something died on it (until then it had worked faultlessly AFAICR, though not so smooth on the spin)) and was replaced by a Bosch Excell, which is fine. I even like the beeping noise some other have complained about as it very quiet and lives in the utility room. So I can't hear when it is working and has stopped.

Bosch Fridge is about 14 years old, works fine, but along the front bottom has rusted. Deciding whether to bodge a repair or pension it off.

AEG DW, bought in part as it was on sale in the local shop, to replace the hand me down Zanussi we had, probably about 12 years old (I think I fixed something on the Zanussi).

A couple of freezers (Zanussi and Electrolux) probabably 16 and 12 years)

nothing much has gone wrong with any of them really.

Reply to
chris French

In fairness it is a Slovenian company. Most Slovenes do speak very good English (better than some of us even) but a translation error like that could easily slip through.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

And you can turn it off, anyway.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Exactly. The problem is, I don't think there's any comsumer website focusing on taking things apart to assess assembly and parts quality - and to me those are just as important as the "user interface" features listed in the manual.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

My Hotpoint has lead counterweights, works very well, better than the original concrete ones that disintegrated many years ago.

The lead was part of the recovered lead valley that I replaced after it leaked. Teh original builder had used a /single/ piece 4 metres long! Inevitably it cracked, but is still ok sandwiched between ply boards as the counterweight in the washer. I must remember about it when the washer is eventually dumped, Its prolly worth more than teh washer.

Reply to
<me9

What's a "Teh original builder"?

73 and HNY...
Reply to
Frank Erskine

Or maybe not. I bodged the drum location into place, sorted the heater electrics and powered it all up for a test cycle. Washing seemed fine, but when it came to spin time, the motor let fly with a demonstration of brush sparks and escaping phlogiston.

So, time for a new Bosch, methinks. 8-(

Reply to
Andy Dingley