New washing machine time - What sort?

Ditto.

And now ours is out of warranty, I discovered that (i) the entire front hinges open so you can access the internals (you can even run it with the front open) and (ii) there's a circuit diagram tucked into a little folder on the frame.

Reply to
Huge

Having seen the 'engineering' on their frost free fridge freezers I'd not touch anything Hotpoint with a bargepole the length of the universe.

In fact I reckon a Hotpoint washing machine, on a really hot wash, on a really hot day could probably keep food cooler than one of their frost free fridge freezers.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Our Boschwash did that until I discovered the keypress combination to shut it up. Every now and then someone leans on it in just the wrong way and I have to look it up again.

Reply to
Skipweasel

More than the 10 year guarantee on Astracast sinks did for me. They've refused to pay out, saying that we broke the sink and that we can't prove we bought it anyway.

Reply to
Skipweasel

What was its spin speed?

Reply to
fred

Our dish washer went with a hell of a bang (so loud, I thought that it was the oven element!), but this turned out just to be the input smoothing capacitors. A cheap and quick fix.

Worth a check??

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
marpate1

Aiieeee No!

They remain the most unreliable hunks of crap on the face of the planet, right up there with Whirlpool.

Someone I know has an M-i-L who insists on buying them Hotpoint appliances as a gesture of parental affection. They last for about a year, or sometimes not even that. The dishwasher, for example, has a "brilliant" design in which water is fed to the spray bar from a socket at the back of the machine. Load up the top tray and the weight causes the tray to sag, the bar cannot mate with its socket, the door will not close and if one slams the tray or door the machine is buggered.

Reply to
Steve Firth

FWIW, over the last 32 years we've had exactly two washing machines, bth bought from John Lewis. Both have been Zanussi models.

The first was retired after 25 years when I simply got tired of replacing the one component that broke from time to time. This was the plastic catch that secured the front door in use. Erindoors would sometimes slam the door closed when a towel was not fully psched into the washing machine. If the towel was across the lock plate the catch would break with the force of the slam. Spares cost about 50p and were a doddle to replace.

Also SWMBO demanded a condensing washer dryer and that necessitated the change. The new one is just as good, silent in use, relatively cheap still built like a brick shithouse and a fraction of the cost of "poncy french brand(tm)". The only servicing in seven years has been the occasional removal of fluff from the filter. It got a descale last year because we live in an area where the water has lumps in it.

Reply to
Steve Firth

How can it be quiet with a big drum? Especially on Christmas day.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I /must/ get round to fixing the Hotpoint. Last year I fixed (part of) the roof. I left a drill or something in my trouser pocket whilst they were washed. It got lodged between the drums and punched holes in the inner drum. It's now over 25 years old (I think) and was in perfect working order before the drill escapade. I'm wondering how best to repair the holes (probably leave them, but push the lump into the hole so it doesn't snag the clothes?

Reply to
<me9

Miele are German, despite the name.

(Contrariwise, Krup (coffeemakers) are French.)

Reply to
Huge

Our 6 year old Miele has a 'hand wash only wool' program, which seems to do the job, though as far as i know, its not certified by the Woolmark people.

Reply to
paulag

Maybe I was referring to Scholtes?

Indeed.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Car body filler.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

And M=F6ben are English.

--=20 Skipweasel - never knowingly understood.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Now there's a brand I thought disappeared along with avocado baths ...

"Scholt=E8s inspires the true sense of luxury. Impeccable and distinctive, it rewards you with professional results and iconic aesthetics for your home and lifestyle." (Scholtes website)

I ken merde when I see it.

"Miele is a German manufacturer of high quality domestic appliances and commercial equipment. It was founded in 1899 by Carl Miele and Reinhard Zinkann and has always been a family-owned, family-run company. Since the beginning, the Miele motto has been "Immer Besser" or "Forever Better" and this philosophy is still reflected in the legendary quality and longevity of the products." (Miele website)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Must be too posh for the likes of me - never heard of it.

Reply to
Huge

And deeply, profoundly, fundamentally shit.

(Also Dolphin bathrooms, which are the same firm.)

Reply to
Huge

Ha ha! I have one of those :-) Probably around 25 years old, does the job well, very easy to repair, spare parts available cheaply in huge supply... it made me chuckle when I first moved to the US and saw all these big old top-loaders like granny used to have, but there's definitely benefits in keeping a design simple and relatively unchanged for years.

(The water use doesn't bug me so much here - it comes out of the ground behind the house and goes into the ground in front of the house. I'd be a bit more eco-conscious about it if I was in a town on mains water, I suppose)

Everyone just does cold-water washes over here unless there's something that *really* needs the heat. Not sure if US detergents are typically a different formula to UK ones, though, and so better suited to it...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Understood.

However our two year old fridge-freezer is a Hotpoint and seems very well engineered. Basically just "un-Hotpointy". The trick would seem to be that this model is engineered and built in Poland, not the UK.

Reply to
Andy Dingley